Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Default $26 FTP MTT - First hand of the final table

The field was over 1000 players. I went into the final table being third in chips. I had 310k and the blinds were 8k/16k. The first hand I was delt JsJc in mid position. It folded to me and I raised 40k total. The button, who was the chip leader, called and the flop came Qd Tc 9s. At this point I have 270k and first to act.

What is the right play?

// It was the first time he was at my table as well... never played a hand with him
Old 09-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: $26 FTP MTT - First hand of the final table

[ QUOTE ]
The field was over 1000 players. I went into the final table being third in chips. I had 310k and the blinds were 8k/16k. The first hand I was delt JsJc in mid position. It folded to me and I raised 40k total. The button, who was the chip leader, called and the flop came Qd Tc 9s. At this point I have 270k and first to act.

What is the right play?

// It was the first time he was at my table as well... never played a hand with him

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a read, I'd check-call. You're not going to fold a better hand, have two of his outs if he's drawing, and it's hard to see what worse hand calls.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM

I think betting should be better. He is most often drawing and might take the free card. But if you bet the pot you can't get off if he pushes. So I think either 2/3 of the pot or all in would be better. I am a noob so I think I should push.
KJ and J8 are not too likely, Against KK or QQ you have 8 outs, KQ 9 outs AA, TT, 99 or two pair 10 outs.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 PM

I think you can do a lot of things in this spot. However, I like to bet out here, because I think you get some information about the guy to act behind you. If he makes a big raise, I think you can get away from it and if he just calls you can put him on a draw. Check-calling isn't bad, but I think it puts you to a tough decision on the turn UI.

[ QUOTE ]
KJ and J8 are not too likely, Against KK or QQ you have 8 outs, KQ 9 outs AA, TT, 99 or two pair 10 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

PowerBauer, where did you get your out counts? Against KK he has 6 outs (assuming the board doesn't pair on the river) and against KQ he has 7 outs.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM

Yeah sorry you are right of course.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM

check/call.

The only free card you are really worried about giving here is an A or J. You have two Js, so not really worried about that (and you get a redraw if you hit your J). If he has QK and decides to RR, goodnight. If he has QJ, he may RR, and once again, ye [censored]. Q10/QA, same. And of course, lest we forget KJ and sets. So, basically, on this board, you are rarely getting smooth called by a worse hand and almost always getting RRed by bigger hand. But, if an 8 comes up, I can see you getting some more value from a c/c line.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Small pots for small hands, big pots for big hands.

You are up against one of the few guys who can bust you, so you should be playing very very carefully. You want to keep this pot small.

Check/call
Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM

So what do we do if we check/call the flop, the 2h hits on the turn? Do we check/call a reasonable bet by the villian or do we check/fold to a bet now?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what do we do if we check/call the flop, the 2h hits on the turn? Do we check/call a reasonable bet by the villian or do we check/fold to a bet now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably check and then re-evaluate based on his bet size.

Barry
Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 PM

I think this is a good hand to check raise with, he will most probably bet if you check whether he hit the board or not. If he calls that then I would probably shove any turn making it look like a bluff or a draw that missed. If he re-raises, then the decision becomes difficult. He probably wouldn't raise with just a pair of Q so I think he would have something like AJ, KQ, or he flopped a set. If I thought that the probability that he flopped a set was low I would shove over his raise or call the all in.

Edit: I think the check call puts us in a very difficult situation on the turn, I think that by check raising we find out where we are early, he doesn't know that we didn't flop a set. If he re-raises we can get away from it. If he calls, then we may be able to get a free chance to see 5th street and either a cheap showdown or an oppurtunity to take the pot away on the river.