Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Michael Moore explains the major flaw in capitalism

Moore is hardly one to criticize greed. If he hits the buffet line one more time he's gonna turn into Jabba the hutt.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
elwood,

I thought you were libertarian leaning. But lately you've been pretty staunch status quo pundit.

Maybe I'm taking you for someone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Elwood a libertarian? LOL. Sure, and Moorobot was a die hard anarchist and Iron is a big Bush fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps he's confusing him with bluesbassman.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, having a lot of wealth is thedefinition of greed

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't (not even from your linked definition.) It is a COMPONENT of the definition, though the key component (what distinguishes being greedy from being wealthy) is the excessive desire to accumulate wealth. It is the "excessive desire" that matters, not the wealth. One can be greedy and own next to nothing just as one can be very wealthy and not be greedy. Nothing that I have seen suggests that Moore is greedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, neither of us can prove what goes on inside Michael Moore's brain (what he desires).

But I'm going to use some logic. Because he wants to charge $10.50 per person to see his films, we can deduce that he desires money. Like I said, nothing is stopping him from giving his movie away for free. So we know he has a choice on whether or not he wants to collect that money.

Also we know he has enough money to live the rest of his life in comfort. At this point, every nickel he earns is excess and we both know it. Thus, we can only deduce that Michael Moore is in fact, greedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this has been fun. Changing the meaning of commonly used words is a great way to get your point across --- what was your point again? Oh yeah, Michael Moore is a hypocrite because he has money (and is therefore greedy) and doesn't publicly give enough of it away (to your liking.) You win --- I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's changing the meaning of words, I linked a dictionary.com definition...lol. And I just showed how he desires money in excess, which is the dictionary definition of greed.

Also, keep in mind it's Moore who tosses around the greed term to every capitalist who is wealthy. If Moore isn't "greedy" in the strongest sense of the word, then neither are some of the people he criticizes. Basically, my only point is that the sword cuts both ways.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I'm going to use some logic. Because he wants to charge $10.50 per person to see his films, we can deduce that he desires money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he really have any control over that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes? See my previous posts. No one is stopping him from giving away his movies for free. And he clearly has enough money to live the rest of his life in extreme comfort.

[ QUOTE ]
Also we know he has enough money to live the rest of his life in comfort. At this point, every nickel he earns is excess and we both know it. Thus, we can only deduce that Michael Moore is in fact, greedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dictionary definition of greedy is wanting more wealth than one needs or deserves. If he thinks he deserves to be paid for his movies, that doesn't make him greedy. On the other hand, that wouldn't be consistent with him thinking corporations are greedy for wanting to paid for their services.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Vagos: (linking to this definition of greed)
[ QUOTE ]
excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagos: Changing the definition of defined term:
[ QUOTE ]
having a lot of wealth is thedefinition of greed

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagos: asking a kind of funny question givin the context: [ QUOTE ]
Who's changing the meaning of words,

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagos trying to wiggle out of it saying that because Moore has EXCESSIVE WEALTH that means he is "by definition greedy." Note, however, that "Excessive or rapacious" modify the term "Desire."
Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't claim that wealth is bad nor that one shouldn't be compensated for their hard work (as you suggest.)

[/ QUOTE ]

What? He clearly says healthcare should be a non-profit situation. People don't work hard in the healthcare industry I guess? Fascinating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, do you think that he's suggesting that healthcare providers shouldn't be paid? What he is talkign about is that 20-30% of healthcare costs go to 1) profits for HMOs and hospitals 2) profits and other costs associated with present health insurance providers.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
elwood,

I thought you were libertarian leaning. But lately you've been pretty staunch status quo pundit.

Maybe I'm taking you for someone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Elwood a libertarian? LOL. Sure, and Moorobot was a die hard anarchist and Iron is a big Bush fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps he's confusing him with bluesbassman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I think I'm more than libertarian "leaning." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't claim that wealth is bad nor that one shouldn't be compensated for their hard work (as you suggest.)

[/ QUOTE ]

What? He clearly says healthcare should be a non-profit situation. People don't work hard in the healthcare industry I guess? Fascinating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, do you think that he's suggesting that healthcare providers shouldn't be paid? What he is talkign about is that 20-30% of healthcare costs go to 1) profits for HMOs and hospitals 2) profits and other costs associated with present health insurance providers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh, so there will still be profits and it won't be free? I'm so shocked Michael Moore would twist words and misconstrue something like that.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ohhh, so there will still be profits and it won't be free? I'm so shocked Michael Moore would twist words and misconstrue something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What words are being twisted??? You talked about a non-profit --- if you think that means "nobody can earn a living" or "workers cannot be paid wages" I think you don't know what a non-profit is (or what "profit" is for that matter.)

Maybe "non-profit" is another tough word like "greedy."
Old 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vagos: (linking to this definition of greed)
[ QUOTE ]
excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagos: Changing the definition of defined term:
[ QUOTE ]
having a lot of wealth is thedefinition of greed

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagos: asking a kind of funny question givin the context: [ QUOTE ]
Who's changing the meaning of words,

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagos trying to wiggle out of it saying that because Moore has EXCESSIVE WEALTH that means he is "by definition greedy." Note, however, that "Excessive or rapacious" modify the term "Desire."

[/ QUOTE ]

When you already have a ton of money, more than enough to live a lavish life. And you deliberately SEEK OUT more money...how can this not be seen as "excessive desire" to aquire money? He in fact, desires wealth, in excess. No one is forcing Michael Moore to keep getting paid ridiculously large sums, it's all by his own choice. So yes, he fits the definition.

Also, I notice you ignored the several posts in this thread that point out how Moore is the one calling other people "greedy", when they are just really doing the same thing he is (getting paid for their services). If you claim I can't understand Michael Moore's "desires", how does he understand the desires of other people? Sorry, you can't have it both ways.
Closed Thread