Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: A concept a day

im too tired to write a long post about this, but i'd say only about 5% of the players playing online (maybe even fewer) actually change gears effectively. making a 'move' now and then (like a cold 4-bet bluff) is not changing gears.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im too tired to write a long post about this, but i'd say only about 5% of the players playing online (maybe even fewer) actually change gears effectively. making a 'move' now and then (like a cold 4-bet bluff) is not changing gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you come up with an elaborate post on this sub.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you come up with an elaborate post on this sub.

[/ QUOTE ]

i might, im not sure. but im working on a strategy post about balancing that i think will invoke some great discussion.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you always look for profitable situations in which to win pots, when you have the image of a tight player not making moves, then there should be many profitable situations to make moves, but as you make more moves you sense that your image has changed to loose and capable of bluffs, so now the number of profitable bluffing situations decreases though value betting ones increase. However, just because you in fact are making moves doesn't mean your image has changed, your opponents might not know you're doing it. In this way you just go with the flow, and it's not really like, ok I've played tight for 45 mins I should play loose now. None of that is really groundbreaking, but I feel like a lot of people randomly change gears in certain spots just because you're supposed to change gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with game theory or consciously changing gears? Is adapting to your table image as well as the table dynamic NOT consciously changing gears?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Changing gears in generally more of a tourney concept for when the blinds go up. You will probably get better responses in the MTT forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure changing gears is an overall poker concept and not tourney specific (although I concur that you're presented with more reason to change gears in tournaments).
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post a poker concept you would like to see some discussion on. You can bump this thread every day with a different concept.

Hope this generates some interest and good discussion.

I will start:
1) Changing gears during a session

[/ QUOTE ]

Phresh:
2) Reraising preflop. It's purposes/effects both instantly and long term.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM

not sure what you could say for long term effects... I guess if you do it and people find it to be effective against them, over months you could see bandwagon effects. I think we have experienced that progression slowly over the last 2 years.