Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ohio St 11-0
1 38 90.48%
2 2 4.76%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

Such a silly thread. If Jamie made a bigger flush on the turn everybody would've been nutting over Doyle's sick read. Results oriented twits.

What I find most interesting is that Sammy seems to be playing good solid poker so far especially insta-mucking the dumb end of that one card straight. Gold had also been looking like a much improved player in the some of the more recent HSPs, but he is playing beyond terrible in the 500k game. I wonder if its some sort of machismo thing to try and show that he's not scared to spew with half a mil stacks.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is my list of EVs:

EV+:
Patrick
Daniel N.
Antonio E.
Doyle

EV-:
Jamie Gold
Sammy
Guy L.

Borderline:
David B.
Barry G.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ Barry G being borderline EV.

moran.

and also lol @ people berating Doyle's fold. When Gabe was sitting there going on about how Doyle was going to stack Jamie, I was sitting there seriously believing Doyle could muck his hand. Why? Because Doyle can read Jamie like a book, and detected high strength tells. Doyle probably believed that it simply wasn't worth risking his stack (who knows how many 500k bullets he had available?) in a borderline situation. Yes, in hindsight, it was an incorrect fold, but Doyle's ability to pick his spots and stay away from marginal situations (like the AK hand against Barry) testify to his past success.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying here is ... is that gold made the right decision as well. right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm not saying that. Jamie was playing his cards. Is raising with KK from the sb a bad decision when someone is sitting in the bb with AA? Stop being so results oriented.

What I'm simply saying is that Doyle may have been playing 1 bullet and didn't want to jeopardize potentially a large amount of his stack in a marginal situation. Jamie doesn't raise a set or two pair there. He didn't even value bet his straight on the board that three flushed on the river, last week. He either has a flush, or is bluffing. And what flushes can he have that Doyle can beat?

Doyle correctly read Jamie for having a strong flush. Out of the strong flushes Jamie could have (including the 9 high flush, and maybe the 7 high), Doyle is behind. And he folded. This is a good play.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 AM

Doyle's equity vs. the "normal" big flushes:

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

176 games 0.005 secs 35,200 games/sec

Board: Ks 4s Jd As
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 25.000% 25.00% 00.00% 44 0.00 { Ts8s }
Hand 1: 75.000% 75.00% 00.00% 132 0.00 { QsJs, Qs9s, Js9s, 9s7s }
Old 11-06-2007, 04:09 AM

http://www.pokertube.com/ShowMovie.a...9-1d502e30e3b4
Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"omg how can Doyle fold, wtf?"

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this is the most disappointing hand I have ever seen on any season of High Stakes Poker. Jamie is supposed to go broke there. It can be on the turn or it can be on the river, but it definitely needs to happen.

I do not loathe Jamie Gold like a lot of people in this forum. However, I do like it when the "pros" stick it to the "amateurs." To me, there is nothing better than old school players teaching newbies a lesson. I think it's because it seems like a lot of people win a tournament and suddenly think they belong in the same group as world class players. Nobody is more old school than Doyle, someone who's been doing it for fifty years and has proven himself to be one of the best ever. Gold epitomizes the upstart luckboxes that suddenly find amazing fame without fully deserving it for the merits of their ability to play poker.

Anyway, long story short, my best case scenario in that group of players would be Doyle breaking Jamie. A close second would be Barry doing it, because he is also a proven player and very classy.

Anyway, as far as the actual hand goes, I absolutely cannot believe Doyle folded that hand. He's got the 3rd best possible hand. He's being check-raised on the turn by someone who has already proclaimed he wants to be the world's greatest bluffer. Seriously, who bluffs more in that game than Jamie Gold? There are far more made hands that Doyle crushes than vice versa. Worst possible play in my opinion.

1) Reraise all in. Don't give Gold a chance to suck out if he just has a pair with a higher spade, two pair, or a set. Get all the money in with the near nuts.

2) Call. This leaves you well over 300k on the river and you have position. See what comes and what Jamie does then.

3) Fold. Seriously, bad bad bad idea. Don't do it.

I will honestly be very surprised if many people disagree with me on this.

I was SHOCKED.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban
Old 11-06-2007, 04:13 AM

I can understand doyles fold of the flush, because quite frankly Jamie Gold was reaking strength. yes its easy to say when seeing his cards but i think he went too much out of his way in this hand and thats a strong reason on why doyle folded.

However, i never understood the way he played AK vs Jamie and Barry. I mean isnt it worth calling the re raise there even though OOP to Barry? Yes AK is not the nuts but its not total crap either
Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand doyles fold of the flush, because quite frankly Jamie Gold was reaking strength. yes its easy to say when seeing his cards but i think he went too much out of his way in this hand and thats a strong reason on why doyle folded.

However, i never understood the way he played AK vs Jamie and Barry. I mean isnt it worth calling the re raise there even though OOP to Barry? Yes AK is not the nuts but its not total crap either

[/ QUOTE ]

He's OOP against a tricky player in a re-raised pot with extremely deep stacks, Barry has the lead in the hand, if Doyle makes his hand and is ahead, he will vary rarely win a big pot, if he makes his hand and is behind, he will typically lose a big pot. Reverse Implied Odds 101
Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 AM

seems like a few people here are only looking at hand strength in a vacuum, and not hand strength in relation to jamie's range
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like a few people here are only looking at hand strength in a vacuum, and not hand strength in relation to jamie's range

[/ QUOTE ]

And what is Jamie's range, moran?

This is a guy that very rarely value bets without an ultra strong holding and doesn't blend his range.

Jamie's range is a bluff (or a hand he's turning into a bluff), or a flush. Any moron that says otherwise and tries to include sets and two pair into his range is a wrong. Jamie MIGHT make a similar move with a bare Ace of spades, but I highly doubt it against Doyle. Also, he was displaying high strength tells. The nut flush draw with 1 card to come ins't strong.

So, from Doyle's point of view, given his read on Jamie as strong, which was correct, Jamie's range is a medium to high flush. Antonio knew this. That's why Antonio could tell by Doyle's pained expression when he folded, that Doyle mucked a BIG hand. Antonio put Jamie on the nuts or around there also, and was able to appreciate how good Doyle's fold actually was, despite the fact that having seen the cards it was actually incorrect.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 AM

i was actually referring to the people who act like him folding a flush is so horrible

but an insightful post never hurt anyone