Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Trouble playing FD

Hi all.... I've been playing 5NL for a bit trying out new things and rebuilding my BR. I've been trying to get more agressive playing draws with suited (gap) connectors.

The trouble is that I keep getting odds on calls and suck myself in. Here's an example... The table was loose and I got to see lots of flops unraised.

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.24, 5 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $0.24</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.72</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $1.2</font>, Hero calls.

Here I raised for a free card and possibly a steal, because there has been a lot of stabs at paired flops at this table. When he raised I thought I could forget about the free card, but with 0.48 to call I almost had the odds with one card to come and needed only a little implied odds, which I was probably getting with two streets to come and his interrest in this pot

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.64, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls.

This villain doesn't do pot control so I tried to get there a little cheaper by betting a little less than 1/2 pot. I figured villain would just call most of his K hands and I was prepared to risk to have to fold to a decent raise. His $1 dollar raise priced me in for one card again, especially with the inside straight draw that I just picked up. This pot is getting big and I'm far from favorite to win. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6.64, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $1.04</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $1.04 returned to MP2.

I'm obviously check/folding this river, no point in going on

Results:
Final pot: $6.64

I feel like I sucked myself in by trying to be agressive and then got most of my money in as a dog, chasing slim (but correct) odds. This cannot be any profitable in the long run.
I thikn the lesson is that I should not try semibluffs or abort when villain is not likely to give a free card, odds or not...

Any comments/help/alternatives would be appreciated. How's my line of thinking during the hand?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Trouble playing FD

If he's habitually betting paired flops then I suppose a flop raise is okay however I'd just call here most of the time. If you were IP I'd say just call then bet any turn card if checked to but it gets harder to play OOP, which is yet another reason to just call on flop.

On the turn if he's passive you can bet small to price in your draw but again, against agressive players this is probably bad.

I don't think you played this one too bad though, but those are some considerations in these kinds of hands.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM

I'd fold flop, personally. I don't like calling a pot sized bet on a paired board like this, especially OOP.

Also, the flop raise sucks because you're OOP, this means you are much less likely to get a free card on the turn cos you've got to check it to him first.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Stacks? Also, fold the flop, it is a really crappy spot and an easy fold.