View Poll Results: Who ya wanna bang?
OLD Ashlee 13 16.46%
NEW Ashlee 14 17.72%
Current Jessica 13 16.46%
Jessica BEFORE Johnny Knoxville and Sean William Scott teabagged her 39 49.37%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM

Default The Beer connoisseur thread

Quality beer is clearly the neglected bastard stepchild compared to quality wine. And it's unfortunate. I find that good beers can contain rich and sophisticated flavors in variation just as wines.

With that said, here's some great beers I recently discovered. Please share, i'm always looking for great new beers.

1. The Delerium Noel, which is the christmas brew from the same belgian brewery that makes Delirium Tremens. I found a pace with the Delerium Noel on tap and it was heaven. This may have been the best beer I've ever tasted. I cannot recommend it enough. Less sweet than most Belgians, it was rich and heavy, but not tart. Absolutely the perfect winter ale. And strong too, which is important. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. A long time favorite of mine, I just have to mention it: The Russian River's "Pliny the Elder". This is probably the best microbrew IPA in the world. If you like your IPAs, hoppy, strong, and bold with a flavor you can smell before you even taste it, this is the one for you. It is a double IPA, and has an alcohol content of about 10% so be careful, because it's so damn good you'll want to drink more than one. And then you're ruined.

I'm not a big fan of lagers and pilsners but please, recommend your faves of any kind.

natedogg
Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

nate,

February is strong beer month!

For anyone in the Bay Area, these are some incredibly delicious and very strong beers. So far the Diesel Imperial Smoked Porter and Blind Lust (strong Belgian with a hint of Framboise flavor) are my favorites (haven't been to Magnolia yet).

Wookie has a great beer thread over in the lounge, but as far as I'm concerned, the more discussion about beer the better.

My favorite beers are rich and dark porters and stouts. I'll write up a couple of reviews here.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Greene King IPA brewed in my town Bury St Edmunds here in England has won many awards including bitter of the year last year (I believe). It has become very very popular in England in recent years for being both hoppy and aromatic in taste and smell. I highly recommend it if you can get hold if it in the USA
Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 PM

i live in beer hell. many bars and restaurants offer Corona and Heinekin as their "import" or "specialty" beer. there's one store that carries a couple dozen microbrews, and the macromicrobrews like Sam Adams can be had, but that's about it. and everyone drinks light beer. wtf.

the moonshine is excellent however.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:06 PM

i love delerium. its on tap at at great little restaurant in silverlake called blairs. lately ive really been enjoying Saison Dupont.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:11 PM

I dont like the delerium noel and if I see one more moran drinking it out of the large bottle next year I'm going to punch him. Get a glass slob.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM

My experiences with 9-10% ABV beers haven't been so phenomenal. The flavors in that range don't really tend to do it for me. I tend to prefer to stick to more conventional IPAs or brown ales (though the occasional stout is good.)
Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 PM

"Whitbread" currently at Trader Joe's for like $5.99 or something is an excellent beer. It has a very nice balance of hops and malt, it feels thick on the mouth but doesn't have a lingering aftertaste of bitter or sweet, which makes it good with food.

Fuller's London Pride
http://www.fullers.co.uk/main.phtml?history=2023

is more of an IPA type (I guess it's a "bitter"), it's quite clean with strong notes of hops, really delicious.

St. Peter's
http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/

everything they make is incredible. I like the "Best Bitter" and the "Organic Ale" but I haven't tried them all.

"Kona" beers in Hawaii are really excellent, but the ones you get on the mainland aren't the same.

"Mac & Jack's" African Amber was my favorite beer in Seattle, so thick and chewy and flavorful, slightly sweet but balanced by the hops. I've never seen it outside of Seattle [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/858/3589
African Amber - Mac and Jack's Brewery - Beer Advocate
Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM

I wasn't long after Natedogg first invited me to his home game that he started drinking beer. You've come a long way son. I'm so proud of you.

Lately I've been sticking with Coors Light. It's good beer. Seriously.

For IPAs, I'm a big fan of Full Sail. Nasty, nasty hangovers though.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:39 PM

matt,
you mean the peace st market, formerly known as the 7-even? they had a decent selection there a while back. I never really thought about it, but there does seem to be a dearth of good tap rooms in the area.