Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Cash Poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not listed anywhere on Tivo as far as showing on WGN.

[/ QUOTE ]

The show is still listed as "Ultimate Poker Challenge", but the January 19 at 11:59pm PT (January 20 at 3am ET) slot on WGN SuperStation should be episode 1 of Cash Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tivo changed over in the past day to UPC Cash Poker instead of the Ultimate Poker Challenge. Every episode listed in the next 10 days is Cash Poker.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 PM

I thought the list of players was pretty solid. I've always wanted to watch Gabe Thaler play a cash game and we got him. Watching Doyle and Barry play is also pretty great, as they both cut their teeth on NL hold'em.

On the other hand there are some donks at the table with no personalities (and the game is quite boring from an entertainment standpoint).

Oh and the announcing is beyond bad.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Would it be normal for some dish networks to list this as "paid programming"? I don't see it listed at the time slot but I know UPC pays for it's slots.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:26 PM

Is this a separate show from UPC at all? It seems like it's just some special episodes in the UPC's time slot. Everywhere I've seen the listings it's just "UPC: Cash Poker" in the UPC's slot. So it's not an extra hour of TV a week, just replacing the UPC for certain weeks. Is that the way it is in all areas, or is anyone getting both series at the same time?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:37 AM

The one I recorded Thursday nite was a tournament, but Friday nite turned out to be a cash game with Doyle et al. They both showed up as "UPC Cash Poker" on my Tivo.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:40 AM

My understanding:

Cash Poker will now air in syndication instead of the UPC, mostly on weekends.

Cash Poker will also air in the Friday night/Saturday morning slot (3am ET/midnight PT) on WGN Superstation. 2 sessions of Cash Poker have already been taped, with 5 more sessions scheduled between February 1 and April 27.

The Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and Thursday night/Friday morning time slots on WGN Superstation will have the UPC so that the backlog of $340 buy-in events will air. So far, the $340 buy-in events from October 14-15 and October 28-29 have aired on WGN Superstation. Don't know why the $340 buy-in events from October 21-22 were skipped.

Because the producer has cut back from its original plan of airing shows on WGN Superstation 5 nights a week to just 3 nights a week, the UPC has reduced the number of tourneys at Binion's from 3 to 2 each week.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 PM

The play & format of this is actually pretty good, but it's just not exciting like "High Stakes Poker". Seems to me it's the editing and announcing and everything that push HSP over the top. "Cash Poker" is sort of like Live at the Bike without the great announcer(s).
Old 01-21-2007, 03:23 PM

I agree that this isn't really too bad. There's not the same caliber of players at the table, and thus not the same level of table talk, but I don't mind seeing good pros (Doyle, Todd, Greenstein, Thaler, Matusow, etc) mixing it up with tournie donks. As long as there's some good play at the table, I enjoy it.

The productions a bit poor, admittedly, but the announcing isn't that terrible, in comparison to most poker shows. I'd listen to Chad Brown over Norman Chad any day. It's definitely not a contender for High Stakes Poker's crown but it still beats out junk programming like Poker Dome, Poker Superstars, Ultimate Poker Challenge, and so forth.

Around here (Michigan) it can be watched through cable network WGN at 3AM Friday night/Saturday morning and 4PM on Saturday afternoon through a local channel. Sometimes the listings are f-ed up but the show still comes on. It may get listed as Paid Programming. It's apparently done by the same crowd that films Ultimate Poker Challenge--and a number of the tournie donks at the tables come from episodes of that show I believe--but it is a separate program. Around here, the Ultimate Poker Challenge runs during the weekdays and Cash Poker during the weekend. Like I said, sometimes the listings are f-ed up though, and will list the wrong program on the wrong day.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:02 PM

The announcer needs to switch to decaf.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 AM

clonie needs some full tilt makeup, not lookin so good