Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Default 2006 WSOP Player\'s Theme Songs

2006 WSOP Player's Theme Songs

It was Saturday the 23rd, and I had a couple of friends playing in event #33, the $1,500 Seven Card Razz event. Rail birding duties called, so I ventured down to the Rio once again.

I found Jan at table #58, she had a decent sized stack, looked to be around 3,000 in chips and the blinds were still low. I then made my way across the tournament area to table #17, where Linda was making another attempt to reclaim the throne she held by winning the bracelet in this event at the 28th WSOP in 1997. Linda, I found out later, was just taking down the only pot she would win the entire event. She eventually busted out before the second break.

I said my hellos, and then found a seat at an empty table in the cash game section of the Amazon Room. I pulled out my notebook and spent the rest of the afternoon observing people. I had a few ideas for some blog articles I wanted to write, but I needed some inspiration, and boy did I find plenty of it.

One thing you will notice in the poker world is that while Bill Gates my have a stranglehold on the personal computer market, Apple, in particular their IPOD division, dominates the tournament scene. IPOD is by far the choice of the tournament poker player when it comes to providing soothing, or inspirational tunes whilst whiling away the hours folding marginal hands.

So, with that in mind I decided that I would pretend as if I were playing in a tournament and create my very own MP3 play list, but since that would be bordering on delusional, yet again, I decided I would instead create a WSOP soundtrack for the poker personalities I saw walking around the room. These are their songs that I would assign them, and to back up my choices I will provide the titles and a snippet of the lyrics to give you a better understanding.

1. Mike Matusow
Song: Breathe
Artist: Prodigy
Lyrics:
Breathe the pressure
Come play my game Ill test ya
Psychosomatic addict insane

Come play my game
Inhale, inhale, you're the victim
Come play my game
Exhale, exhale, exhale

I think it's the frantic nature of this song, the beat, and the lyrics that make me think of Mike "The Mouth." Watching Mike play poker is a test in patience, so I am sure playing with him must be a test in psychological endurance, much like babysitting your sister's ADD kid who just ran out of Ritalin. I think we have moved past the point of time outs, because they are no longer effective, it's now time for daddy to come home and dish out a good beating.

2. Chris Ferguson
Song: Man In Black
Artist: Johnny Cash
Lyrics:
Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

One of the most stoic figures at the poker table, Chris "Jesus" Ferguson is also one of the most recognizable. When trying to find a song that I felt would fit him, it became a toss up between Man In Black, and the theme song to the Swedish Chef from The Muppet Show. Why? Well because every time I see Chris on t.v., he's cutting up vegetables with cards.

3. Doyle Brunson
Song: Highwayman
Artist: Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson
Lyrics:
I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade
The bastards hung me in the spring of twenty-five
But I am still alive.
<snip>
I fly a starship across the Universe divide
And when I reach the other side
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
But I will remain
And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again..

When you think about Doyle, and his travelling adventures in the early stages of his poker career, I think the easy route would be to choose Willie Nelson's On The Road Again. However I find Highway Man to be more fitting of such a man. The song speaks of a spirit that arrives every generation. It is the same spirit that has helped to forge great nations, and conquer others. We call them heroes, and pioneers. They are those, who, emboldened by this spirit set out in life on a different path, leading generations of followers behind them.

4. Phil Hellmuth
Song: I'm An [censored]
Artist: Dennis Leary
Lyrics:
Maybe I shouldn't be singin' this song
Ranting and raving and carrying on
Maybe they're right when they tell me I'm wrong...
NAAAHHHHH!

I'm an [censored]
(he's an [censored], what an [censored])
I'm an [censored]
(he's the world's biggest [censored])

I think the reason I picked this song is pretty self explanatory. Personally I have never met Phil, I did however have the pleasure of watching him be a bit discourteous to a fan, and have watched his many blow ups on television. While I am sure for the most part his act, and new wardrobe has been refined by a few "marketing geniuses," it is also apparent Phil was born for this role and he didn't have to look too far when developing his "character." So, with that in mind, Phil can't be offended I would choose such a song, he would probably be more angry that his agent didn't think of it first.

5. Daniel Negreanu
Song: Mama Said Knock You Out
Artist: L.L. Cool J
Lyrics:
Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Makin the tears rain down like a MON-soon
Listen to the bass go BOOM
Explosion, overpowerin
Over the competition, I'm towerin
Wreckin shop, when I drop these lyrics that'll make you call the cops
Don't you dare stare, you betta move
Don't ever compare
Me to the rest that'll all get sliced and diced
Competition's payin the price

I'm gonna knock you out (HUUUH!!!)
Mama said knock you out (HUUUH!!!)

When I thought of Daniel, the first thing that came to my mind is his ever present mother, a small quaint Romanian woman that is always in the front row when her son makes yet another final table presence. A few more pros' mothers show their support for their poker playing progenies, but none so far that I have seen that goes out of their way to prepare them a home cooked meal to provide much needed nourishment while in the throes of battle. Daniel's mom does. I chose this song because it is, in my opinion spot on. Daniel is one of the most fiercest competitors on the felt, and along with Mom backing up his every move he will never have to question whether or not he "could have been a contender."

6. Barry Greenstein
Song: Do They Know It's Christmas Time
Artist: Band Aid
Lyrics:
But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones
At Christmas time it's hard, but when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
Are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
(Oooh) Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all

Barry honestly was the hardest to pick a song for. Such a quiet unassuming man, you would never know he could be such a domineering force at the poker table if it weren't for his reputation for smelling weakness in his opponents and taking advantage of that. I chose to focus on his philanthropic endeavors and it made me flash back to one of my favorite Christmas songs in High School. Bob Geldof from the Boomtown Rats, assembled the biggest names in pop, and rock at the time to form Band Aid, they then produced the song Do They Know It's Christmas Time with all of the proceeds going to charities to help feed the children suffering from famine in Somalia. Barry is known not just for his poker skills, but also as "The Robin Hood of Poker," for donating all of his tournament winnings to charity.

7. Annie Duke
Song: Sweet Emotion
Artist: Aerosmith
Lyrics:
You talk about things that nobody cares
You're wearing out things that nobody wears
You're calling my name but you gotta make clear
I cant say baby where Ill be in a year

Okay, this is the one and only song I have chosen where the lyrics really do not fit at all with what I am trying to convey. I was driving home from the Rio one night and Sweet Emotion came on and my first thought was Annie Duke. It has nothing to do with the title, or the lyrics, but has everything to do with the just the feeling the music gives you, especially the opening. Growing up in the 70's I recall fondly riding in friend's cars watching as some sweet thing walked down the street and this song played in the back ground. Believe me, if Annie was a professional wrestler instead of a poker player, this would be her theme song as she entered the ring.

8. Jennifer Harman
Song: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill me
Artist: U2
Lyrics
You don't know how you took it
You just know what you got
Oh Lordy you've been stealing
From the thieves and you got caught
In the headlights
Of a stretch car
You're a star

Dressing like your sister
Living like a tart
They don't know what you're doing
Babe, it must be art
You're a headache
In a suitcase
You're a star

Oh no, don't be shy
You don't have to go blind
Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me

In keeping with my Jennifer Harman stalking theme I chose this, one of my favorite U2 songs for the title specifically. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, it kind of sums it all up. She's cute, she's a gambler, and she dominates at the poker table. Jennifer Harman is a full on rock and roll poker chick, she's a star.

7. Phil Ivey
Song: Eye Of The Tiger
Artist: Survivor
Lyrics:
It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

After much thought, I decided on this song, because if you have ever watched Phil play he always has this intense look in his eyes. Not one for speaking at the table, or showing any emotion, this top tournament and cash game player puts his money where his mouth ISN'T. When I think of Phil Ivey the words intensity, focus, and class come to mind. Phil knows where he stands when he sits down at a poker table, so confident in his abilities he says nothing, he just plays, and let's the results speak for themselves.

8. Kenna James
Song: Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys
Artist: Willie Nelson
Lyrics:
Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
Don't let 'em pick guitars and drive them old trucks
Make 'em be doctors and lawyers and such
Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
They'll never stay home and they're always alone
Even with someone they love
Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold
And they'd rather give you a song then diamonds or gold
Lonestar belt buckles and old faded Levi's each night begins a new day
And if you don't understand him and he don't die young
He'll probably just ride away

Ths pick is a bit tongue in cheek, I have another song I would rather use, but I want to save it for a future article. "Cowboy" Kenna James is one of the classiest guys in all of poker, a true fan favorite who is known not just for his aggressive play at the table, but for his black cowboy hat and penchant for Elvis tunes. I'm still waiting for him to release one of his covers as a ring tone.

9. Johnny Chan
Song: I'm Too Sexy
Artist: Right Said Fred
Lyrics:
I'm too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me

I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts
And I'm too sexy for Milan too sexy for Milan
New York and Japan

While he is not necessarily one of the more colorful characters in poker, he does own the most colorful poker apparel. Too sexy for his shirt, Johnny can be seen wearing the latest technicolor Rorschach test straight from Italy. Yes, it was an easy shot, maybe even a cheap one, but he has left himself wide open. Never have I seen more colorful shirts and sweaters since the Huxtable clan on The Cosby Show left our air waves.

10. Scotty Nguyen
Song: Sexual Healing
Artist: Marvin Gaye
Lyrics:
Ooh, now let's get down tonight
Baby I'm hot just like an oven
I need some lovin'
And baby, I can't hold it much longer
It's getting stronger and stronger
And when I get that feeling
I want Sexual Healing
Sexual Healing, oh baby

When you think of Scotty one word comes to mind. "Baby." Of course it's the only word that comes to his mind as well. Smooth as silk, Scotty knows how to work a crowd and the ladies love him, they don't call him "The Prince of Poker" just because he and another famous Prince are both diminutive in stature.

Well, there you have it, my 2006 WSOP soundtrack, hopefully someday I will be able to include myself.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Re: 2006 WSOP Player\'s Theme Songs

too long, didnt read.

this thread is so [censored] retarded, get a new hobby.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
too long, didnt read.

this thread is so [censored] retarded, get a new hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the wonderful comments, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 PM

Greatest post ever