Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Need shaft/loft advice for driver...launch monitor stats included

[ QUOTE ]

if you could get you launch angle around 11 or 12 consistently and have the spin rate like <2200 then i think that would be good. if you can you should try some other shafts or something because 3500 rpm is too much and 5500 rpm is like crazy(i am guessing some of you drives spin back sometimes?). i would say you should try to find something that lowers the spin rate because high launch w/ low spin will get you the most distance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Naturally he needs to drop that spin rate, but I think a figure of 2200 for him would not be good. The ball would just fall out of the sky. Somebody like Tiger can get away with that number because of the massive ball speed he produces, but with lesser speed the ball would just knuckle into the ground.

BO
Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM

I have a "cheat sheet" that outlines optimal launch conditions for various swing speeds and based on a 105 swing speed you should have a launch of 13.4* w/ 2445 rpm

Also, your ball speed is somewhat lower (should be 160) for your swing speed. I'm not sure you're getting the best #'s unless you're hitting it solid.

Your spin rate is obv out of control high and I think this confirms you are not hitting it pure. I would stick to a higher loft until you start hitting it better.

Depending on how serious you are about golf the OEM shafts stink. Buy an after market Diamana or a Fujikura, it's well worth it.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a "cheat sheet" that outlines optimal launch conditions for various swing speeds and based on a 105 swing speed you should have a launch of 13.4* w/ 2445 rpm

Depending on how serious you are about golf the OEM shafts stink. Buy an after market Diamana or a Fujikura, it's well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As per other thread, I'm looking for a new driver.

The question I have is regarding shafts.

I have a Fujikara 26.3 Tour Platform Series
marked also with "26.3 R-flex".

What does the 26.3 refer to? Is that a model or the length? I remember my fitter saying something about shorter shaft would be better for me (I'm 5'9).

Is there any rule of thumb for swing speed with a driver v/v flex? Anyone have a good link to good reference reading?

I think during testing my swings were 95-100. I've tried swinging faster since then so hopefully I'm playing at ~100 mph swing speed average. (My drives usually carry like 220-230 if I had to guess.)
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

if you could get you launch angle around 11 or 12 consistently and have the spin rate like <2200 then i think that would be good. if you can you should try some other shafts or something because 3500 rpm is too much and 5500 rpm is like crazy(i am guessing some of you drives spin back sometimes?). i would say you should try to find something that lowers the spin rate because high launch w/ low spin will get you the most distance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Naturally he needs to drop that spin rate, but I think a figure of 2200 for him would not be good. The ball would just fall out of the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed on the range and maybe occassionally while playing (2 piece balls) that my ball will have some "sinkerball" movement on it. Is this dropping out of the sky that is mentioned here? Other than that the trajectory of the ball seems fine, i.e. it is straight with a decent launch angle.

It seems that maybe with forward/back-to-front spin the ball might fall faster.

I always attributed this to bad range balls, but maybe I'm coming over the top of the ball?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 PM

All shots have backspin, unless you hit it straight into the ground off the tee. But if a ball is sinking you may need a little more loft on the driver. The ideal flight is one that looks like it wants to sink but doesn't and just stays in the air.

26.3 is just a model number, although the numbers will mean something about the shafts specs. For instance the 26.3 is a 60+ gram shaft, where the 27.3 is a 70+ gram shaft.

The 26.3 looks like a better than average shaft, and the R flex probably suits your swing speed well.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 AM

I just bought a Callaway x460 driver, and the guy at the pro shop fitted me with a Graphite Design YS-6+ Stiff shaft. He had me hit a 6 iron while he measured my swing speed, which was consistantly around 105 (with the 6 iron). I am a very novice golfer, I have played only a couple times in the last few years but am going to be playing a lot more. I have a pretty good swing, and am quick with it due to playing a lot of baseball.

Looking at the graphite design website it says the recomended swing speed for the YS-6+ stiff is 95-105 and for extra stiff it is 100-110. I only tried the stiff which felt great (but I don't have much to reference that against), but should I go back and try out the extra stiff? Again I was at 105mph with a 6 iron, I dont know what I swing the driver.

I don't know how much I should expect my swing speed to improve in the near future as my game improves. I am 23 and 6 months out of college, pretty strong solid frame, but packed on a little weight due to too much beer and pizza at college, which wont be around too long, so I dont know how much faster my swing will be after shaping up a little. Should I go back and try the extra stiff? If I swung the 6 iron 105 what would be a ballpark on my driver speed? Does it matter if my swing ends up being 5-10-15 mph faster in a year than the suggested for the shaft?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM

In all honesty I have NFI why a pro would measure your swing speed with a 6 iron to match you for a shaft with your driver. I have never heard of that being done. If you swing a 6 iron 105mph, I'm going to guess (and it really is just a guess) your driver speed at 115mph.

I am not in a position to tell you which shaft you do need, or if the YS-6+ (which the YS series are a good line) stiff, is stiff enough. But I will recommend that you get tested with the driver you are using now, and see what results you are getting on a launch monitor.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty I have NFI why a pro would measure your swing speed with a 6 iron to match you for a shaft with your driver. I have never heard of that being done. If you swing a 6 iron 105mph, I'm going to guess (and it really is just a guess) your driver speed at 115mph.

I am not in a position to tell you which shaft you do need, or if the YS-6+ (which the YS series are a good line) stiff, is stiff enough. But I will recommend that you get tested with the driver you are using now, and see what results you are getting on a launch monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]It wasnt a pro, just a sales man at a large well known golf shop here, he seemed to know his stuff very well though. I bought the club last night (havent used the actual club I walked out of the store with so it is still new) and am going to go back and ask questions today on lunch. This was after walking 9 holes and hitting a medium bucket of balls so I dont know how much that would increase/decrease my speed. I have always been able to crush the driver and considering I will be stonger and in better shape by next summer I can only imagine that would improve my swing speed.

EDIT: we just used the "SwingMate" radar to test speed. It was set up behind me, not to the side near impact, I dont know if that would effect the reading. I can hit my 8 year old Ram lite flex driver in the 280-300 range so I was a little suprised I only swung 105.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasnt a pro, just a sales man at a large well known golf shop here, he seemed to know his stuff very well though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matching a driver shaft to a 6iron swing speed is retarded. When you go back just point it out and he's likely apologize for being exhausted or hungover or something and get you a better fitting club.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:01 PM

I would return the club and go find someone who knows what they are doing to fit me for a Driver. Unless he can give you a proper fitting with a launch monitor, which is standard these days.