Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Comm 40: Straight draw vs Roy Cooke

Yeah, I think river is so standard and that the bigger question is whether we should be be c/r the flop or turn to move him off the hand. I think this is a simple math question that is stoxesque that we can run based upon what hands he will fold with added to the number of times we improve.

However, I think the fact that we may lose significant action if we semi-bluff C/R(as shown in this river) must also be factored in.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:49 PM

On this board a turn c/r just looks like a semibluff (or pocket 8s exactly I guess) if he is capable of any thought at all. The only place I can imagine doing anything different than what you did is the flop where you could c/r depending on how light he is 3betting you and what kinds of hands he is folding on the flop or turn to the c/r. I really think that just calling flop and turn and donking an A or c/r a 9 (donk might be okay here too) river is likely the best way to play it. I'd also c/r a 7 for sure and maybe a spade.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On this board a turn c/r just looks like a semibluff (or pocket 8s exactly I guess) if he is capable of any thought at all. The only place I can imagine doing anything different than what you did is the flop where you could c/r depending on how light he is 3betting you and what kinds of hands he is folding on the flop or turn to the c/r. I really think that just calling flop and turn and donking an A or c/r a 9 (donk might be okay here too) river is likely the best way to play it. I'd also c/r a 7 for sure and maybe a spade.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post makes me realize I'm very bad at picking boards to semi-bluff on. thx. At least I have my decent river analysis to fall back on. AMIRITE?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM

A lot of people are stupid so it really doesn't matter if it looks like you are semibluffing because they won't think that. They'll think "lol he raise he must have good poker hand". There are people that would c/c this flop with a set or two pair but IMO it's not such a good play.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people are stupid so it really doesn't matter if it looks like you are semibluffing because they won't think that. They'll think "lol he raise he must have good poker hand". There are people that would c/c this flop with a set or two pair but IMO it's not such a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Too many times turn will get checked through.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 PM

I don't know roy or shawnhoo but against a typical tag i would tend to c/r the flop and pound away on the turn and river. I would do the same with lots of hands including Kx and Tx. Of course I am writing assuming roy has a range of a utg opener in a 6-handed game. If he is nittier than this then disregard.

Nothing wrong with the way you played it though, particularly if you would play a hand like AT this way too.