Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

I'd be curious as to a poll of how many Americans say they regularly or semi-regularly don't tip if they don't think it was worth it.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be curious as to a poll of how many Americans say they regularly or semi-regularly don't tip if they don't think it was worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does worth it mean?

"I'm never coming back here, so I won't get any return on my post-meal tip. Thus, I won't tip."

"Ah-ha! The rest of my party has left, so I can not tip and save a few bucks and the "minions" will never know!"

She doesn't work for me she works for the restaurant, they can pay her!

or

Service was bad
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Whatever their definition of "worth it" is. That's open to interpretation. I'm mainly just curious to see how many people and how often they don't tip. I guess a flat % rate from various restaurants of people not tipping / leaving a tip 5% or under or something would suffice.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, so I have no choice -- I have to become a minion and go along with what everyone else does, right? If that's your logic for why you tip, that's all fine and dandy, but it's not something I choose to subscribe to.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's probably statements like this that makes him think you're a self- congratulatory douche.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 PM

Your point is invalid, oddjob, because you should expect people to fight vitriol with vitriol.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you'd rather every restaurant add 15-20% to the price of each item so that they could pay a fare wage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the difference? I'd rather know i'm I'm expected to pay than feel cheated by being expected to tip someone for just doing the minimum requirements of their job
Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The waiter was kind of a punk but that didn't bother me. What bothered the heck out of me was having to wait 10 minutes to pay my bill because the cashier took a break. My bill was $14.75 and all I had was a $20. When the cashier gets done being a lazy worthless [censored], he asks me if I want my change in one dollar bills. I was still going to leave a tip until he asked that question.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a prettty reasonable question. would you prefer they just bring your change in one dollar bills without asking? that seems to be what they usually do.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 PM

Stinky - Yes. If they just give me change in ones I have no problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you have a problem with him asking? if you were going to stiff him, would you be embarrassed about it? i much prefer having the five instead of an overstuffed wallet.

i'd prefer to get my change in the largest bills possible. if i need smaller bills to tip, i can just ask for them when they pick up the cash.

and as for the guy that said the 6+ person included tip rule is dumb, it's not. people are morons and can't calculate tips, especially when taxes are involved. they think they're tipping 15-20% when they're tipping 0-10%. and if you think the tip is unreasonable, its not like you have to pay it by law.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you have a problem with him asking? if you were going to stiff him, would you be embarrassed about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Up until the point where he asked me if I wanted singles, I was going to leave a tip.