Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Getting a winter job/internship

So...I've found that I'm really bad at this job search thing. Likely bad because I've never had even the faintest urgency to work, but since winter break is coming up and I have nothing good to do during said break (and feel like doing something productive and getting some work experience finally...) wonder if any of you have some advice?

The goal: obtain a job or internship during winter break (December 22nd to January 19th), in the New York City Manhattan area.
Can go for 40+ hours per week of work during this time period. Okay if it goes slightly past - perhaps to February, (would drop down to 20-ish hours per week), don't want to work during the spring school year.

The facts:
<ul type="square">[*]Junior at New York University Stern School of Business (Major in Finance/Management)[*]GPA: 3.2[*]120+ Words Per Minute sustainable typing[*]Know the usual basic Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint stuff[*]Familiar with HTML[*]Interest in finance, entrepreneurship, consulting [*]Experience in starting own business previously[*]Willing to work for cheap or free! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Pay not really an issue, want to do something as interesting as possible[/list]
The issues:
<ul type="square">[*]Want some sort of desk job (no "physical" stuff like fast-food / cashier / warehouse / etc.)[*]That pretty much narrows it down to some sort of secretarial / clerk job, or some sort of analyst internship - something to do with finance would be great but expectations are not that high[*]Finding a job which fits the exact shcedule of between December 22nd to January 19th[*]It's pretty late to be finding a job for that time period now, right?[*]Timid: you can tell by the fact that I'm looking here for help perhaps? Other than that though, I'm not well networked at all (yes, realize it's imporatnt) and don't really know what's out there[*]No previous work experience[*]Poker is not an answer. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img][/list]
The resources:<ul type="square">[*]New York University Career Services (not terribly useful for this particular thing, good resource for finding a summer job though. Summer job applications starting december/january wtf? Did I miss the boat on the entire "work during winter" thing?)[/list]

so,
who's got something brilliant?

I've got a couple leads...

1. http://www.accountemps.com/portal/site/a...;jobid=41051789 - looks like some sort of perfect fit, a nice boring entry job of data entry with temporary assignment. Will phone them to ask questions, ldo. Wondering if I can do better.
2. NYU Admissions Office looking specifically for students to work over winter break for stuff like application processing, phone answering and e-mail inquiry replying. Sounds pretty boring and reasonable as a first job too.

anyways, just wanted to get that out there, see if anyone has any experience in this kind of stuff. If nothing else, helped me to organize my thoughts.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Getting a winter job/internship

yeah for a month with no physical labor temp jobs and your school are your only real options./
Old 11-18-2007, 03:46 AM

he might be able to find something if he lives in NYC and wants to continue it afterwards, but right, hes not finding a temporary 1 month internship anywhere.

also, from the "resume", drop this;

[ QUOTE ]
Experience in starting own business previously

[/ QUOTE ]

this imo is kind of an orly? situation. people are going to laugh at this.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he might be able to find something if he lives in NYC and wants to continue it afterwards, but right, hes not finding a temporary 1 month internship anywhere.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, that little snippet isn't posted as is resume, just a summary
the way it's written is better, more detail, less tacky [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

aite, thanks for the advice
Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 AM

poker?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why? what if he has legitimate experience starting his own business?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:59 AM

can someone answer pls
Old 11-21-2007, 02:59 PM

hi
Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 PM

ya your not going to get a good job...it will cost them more to train you than the benefits you will provide them because the period is so short
Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why? what if he has legitimate experience starting his own business?

[/ QUOTE ]

my point was, its probably not as legitimate as he thinks. i don't know his situation, but if hes in college looking for a temporary job, odds are his business wasn't a huge success.

though this is moot as OP responded to it and explained that it was legitimate and he just didn't describe it well.