Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Good Starter Set of Clubs.. thoughts on PING G5?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I plan on going to a pro shop to get fitted for a driver. I just picked up a set of steel shaft callaway x18 irons today. They were on sale for $200 less than the x20s and the reviews I read online made it sound like there was almost no difference in quality. I am 5'10" and a novice golfer looking to improve (read: improve/modify my swing)so I can't imagine I would need my irons fitted any right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just noticed this post . . . I wouldn't underestimate the importance of getting fitted for irons. Most shops will do it for free and will only charge you a (relatively) small fee for altering them (3$/club for off the rack purchases where I shopped).

I would recommend what I've done the past few months to any beginner/intermediate golfer.

GET LESSONS. They're a lot cheaper than clubs, you don't need all that many to improve your game a ton, and you'll be working with the right information when you're selecting clubs you liked. I very much doubt I would have ended up with the G10s if I hadn't had 200$ in lessons first. I probably wouldn't have hit them any more consistently or better than my old beginner set. Because of my lessons, I'm hitting really well and understand a lot better what I'm tryingto look for in a golf club.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The clubs look great in my new Nike Sasquatch bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh the SQ bag is ridiculously nice. I was supposed to get one but due to a mixup I ended up with a tour combo bag and a dozen One blacks. I guess it was a good deal but I cringe every time I see someone with the SQ bag; it looks so good esp. in black/yellow.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:37 AM

Good clubs but Nikent offers better clubs for less money...and I know you said money not really an issue so unless your going to go blade and have them custom fitted doesn't really matter IMO. BTW I just bought the Project X and had em adjusted 3 degrees upright....LOVELY and big difference for my game which is 5 cap.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually just picked up my new G10s today. I'm not a poker baller, so much, but it was nice to not hurt my family's personal finances in making a thousand dollar purchase to suit my hobby. Thank God for 2-5 live donks.

I bought 3-pw in the G10 and a blade (tour pro something or other from ping) SW. I hit my current blade sand wedge really well (and it's a blade) and didn't think I wanted to sacrifice any control with a club that I already hit pretty well.

The G10s on the range today were terrific . . . they were fitted to me and I hit them more consistently and sweeter than the demo G10s!

The clubs look great in my new Nike Sasquatch bag.

Now I'm planning on figuring out what to do about a putter, driver, and long irons/hybrids. I wanted to take care of long irons first. Putters and drivers I'll just try a lot of clubs, 3 iron/hybrids/fairway woods I need to figure out better what I do well with.

I'm really hoping that this purchase will work for at least the next 10-15 years (until my swing speed calls for more flexible shafts).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you go with the Ping hybrids? I love mine, and haven't heard anything bad from anyone else who has played them.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you go with the Ping hybrids? I love mine, and haven't heard anything bad from anyone else who has played them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I didn't go with them . . . I haven't picked up any longer clubs than my 4 iron. I'm going to take a 3 iron, 3-5 hybrids, and 3,5&7 woods out to the range to demo-test them sometime soon. I'll see what works the best for me and buy it.

It's definitely good to hear that you've had a good experience with the Ping hybrids, however. I feel like hybrids could really help my (mediocre) game.