Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 04:36 AM

Default $4/180, flop bottom two on a monotone board, FT

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t110624)
Button (t61836)
SB (t55958)
Hero (t41582)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t4950) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t38432 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t38432.

Turn: (t81814) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t81814) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t81814

Villian is loose passive, he's limped pocket pairs on the button a few times and checked down to win the hand. In retrospect I think I played this hand pretty terribly and could have waited for a better spot. My goal was to take down the pot right there but if called, I'd likely be in a coinflip to get a nice stack. Would a pot-sized bet have been better way to take it down without seeing anymore cards?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: $4/180, flop bottom two on a monotone board, FT

you fold out all hands you beat and get owned all other times.
Bet pot, if he smoothcalls, turn comes 6d, c/f.
Don't post results after your final decision, they're irrelevant to the decisionmaking process.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:54 AM

That's a terrible overbet. You are risking 40k to win 5k.

You want to know if he has a flush or a draw to the flush. One way to find out is to shove in your stack. Another is bet 1/10 of your stack. Either way, you get your answer.

Bet the flop. If he calls, yes, he proably has a diamond, and then you can get away on the turn.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:32 PM

Massive overbets on uncomfortable boards broadcast to EVERYONE who is slightly awake that Hero hates the flop and wants to end the hand now. NOW. Hero has something that's not the nuts, Hero is afraid of the nuts (or the draw or whatever) and Hero would REALLY, REALLY like to not see anoter card come off the deck...

Against a passive - I bet half-pot on the flop and hope he comes along with a single diamond. Shut down on the diamond turn and get to a cheapo showdown if you can.

Against an aggressive player with C/R tendencies I will check behind and will bet/raise any non-diamond card on the turn. Let him bluff.