Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Playing Cards Face Up

Have you ever seen anyone play their cards face up? Last night at the Borgata, someone at my table did this in a 1/2 NL game, and it was bizarre to watch.

A guy in MP made it $15 to go and was called by the Button. The flop came out Jack high, with two diamonds, and MP bet $25. Then, thinking that the Button had folded, MP tabled his hand: pocket Queens, one of which was a diamond. With the hand now fully exposed, the Button called.

The turn brought the Kd, not only completing the flush, but also putting an overcard to the Queens on the board. Despite all of that bad news, MP still bet into the Button for $50. The Button then re-raised all-in. MP called anyway for the remainder of his stack (about $75).

When the Button tabled his hand, he showed KJ for top two-pair (and no diamonds). Amazingly, MP was still drawing live if a fourth diamond hit the board. It did, on the river, and MP dragged the pot, while the Button left the table in disgust.

I didn't get the chance to ask the Button what he was thinking when he called on the flop with his pair of Jacks v. the tabled pair of Queens. Maybe he was thinking that he could bluff MP out of the pot if the flush hit because it would be pretty hard to put the Button on anything else but a flush draw after flat calling the flop. Honestly though, I don't think that the Button was that clever.

I did ask MP what the heck he was doing by betting into the Button when the flush materialized on the turn. He said that he put the Button on a Jack and thought he would fold to the bet. I pointed out that the re-raise all in suggested a better hand, one to which MP could well be drawing dread (if Button held Axd). He replied, "What you're saying makes a lot of sense, but I decided to call anyway."

Just another night of fun and games in Atlantic City.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Playing Cards Face Up

To play in a B&M you need proof

1. You are 21
2. You have cash to buy in

Proof of IQ not necessary.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Playing Cards Face Up

[ QUOTE ]

Proof of IQ not necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, just in case, I always bring my MENSA card. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]