Time Machine 18 10.84%
Planet (or moon) in our solar system 13 7.83%
Pirate Ship 15 9.04%
Underground Lair 8 4.82%
License to Kill 12 7.23%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: assani

daryn didn't say he derailed an OOT thread with it, he said it derails threads in general.

/nitpick
Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 PM

I think it's safe to say Mat and I both prefer flexibility over rigid rules. It just so happens in this case there is one with a specific punishment attached, and I really do feel like I didn't have a choice. But I can't shake that it being correct doesn't make it seem right, and other arguments against it are weak by comparison. Yeti probably wouldn't do it again. He's a reasonable guy, and NT is also right in that others have probably been given extra chances for doing the same thing for whatever reasons. That's an inconsistency that benefits no one.

This isn't necessary. What's needed is a sticky edit. I'm going to do that now and talk to Yeti.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:57 PM

A few points. I think the post with T-God had been moved to Internet Gambling and back to BBV. I could be mistaken as I had multiple windows up. However, T-God's location WAS ALSO IN THE ZOO and you can see via this LINK. Also, aren't locations and user names across all forums? i.e. not per forum? Also, by the lack of admin response I am deducing they agreed that the location was inappropriate for www.twoplustwo.com. So...... it was not a 'terrible illegitimate reason'.

FYI for Ryan - the location was something like 'sucka y sucka dick y'all'. He had already been banned multiple times for profanity and you had stated a couple of bans ago he was on his last chance. I banned him for 24 hours and changed his location to something like 2+2.

FWIW I would like to see Yeti reinstated with just a warning. I think he has learned his lesson. I think he rubbed Ryan the wrong way with his acknowledgment that he was banning out of forum. That does not mean that I agree with the assani ban. If the main offense was having a counter in his signature I think the ban should be overturned. JMHO

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Yeah, Yeti is great and it would be nice for him to be re-modded if that's what he wants. The ban and the reasons behind were ridiculous but that doesn't really change him being a good mod and an asset to 2p2.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this to set an example though? As someone pointed out, didn't Jim Kuhn essentially do the same thing under yet more questionable circumstances recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Please see above response to NT's post. My suspension was an inappropriate location where the poster had posted in my forum and the location was visible in my forum. The assani suspension was a mod preference against a count in the user signature. The mod also acknowledged he knew it was out of forum. I think the situations are more different then similar.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 PM

Jim, sitewide features of a user's profile like avatars and locations are not restricted by which forums a user posts in and can be handled by any mod. I wish there were a requirement that mods not do this unless the user posts in their forum, but there isn't.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jim, sitewide features of a user's profile like avatars and locations are not restricted by which forums a user posts in and can be handled by any mod. I wish there were a requirement that mods not do this unless the user posts in their forum, but there isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

- T God did not have anything in his avatar / loc that is censored by 2p2. Furthermore, if Jim felt it was inappropriate and wanted him to change it, the procedure that mods usually use in that scenario is to simply go in and change it, or ask the user to change it. There is no precedent for a ban there. Jim did not know this, nor did he know that the word 'dick' is permitted on 2p2, nor did he know how the location / avatar fields work. I still haven't seen him flat out admit that he made any kind of mistake, even though he clearly doesn't follow the discussions we have here about this kind of thing and, up until very recently, didn't even know some very basic things about how the site work, such as the [censored] filter or the location field.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's needed is a sticky edit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good decision. I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:52 PM

NT,

Please go back and very slowly read the other thread where this was all discussed. Basically just about every point you are bringing up was discussed and you are very misinformed. You are starting to act like a troll regarding the location situation. If you think that particular location is appropriate please take it up with the admins. That is an admin type decision if it is to be overturned.

About the only thing you have correct is I am not sure exactly what words are in the profanity filter. Do you know all of them? Also, just because the profanity filter does not block something does not make it correct. We must look at the context and decide on a case by case basis. FWIW I am not going to be online much longer tonight. Please don't take it that I am ignoring anyone nor don't care about the mod discussions.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
Old 10-29-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Please go back and very slowly read the other thread where this was all discussed. Basically just about every point you are bringing up was discussed and you are very misinformed. You are starting to act like a troll regarding the location situation. If you think that particular location is appropriate please take it up with the admins. That is an admin type decision if it is to be overturned.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, what happened is you made a blanket denial of any wrongdoing and ignored the fact that you don't understand basic information about how the site software works, such as which words are censored, whether it's possible to circumvent the profanity filter in the location field, or what the usual punishment / action regarding inappropriate locations are. you did whatever you thought was right to a long-time poster without checking with other mods when you were totally ignorant of precedent and procedure. then, when the majority of people pointed out that you were wrong, you refused to acknowledge same.