Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 AM

Default 5/10 - Top two, weakleader/raise greeted with two all-ins. Now what?

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $20</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($80, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $40</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $150</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $340</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $1011.5 (all-in)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO calls all-in $234.5</font>, Hero ????

(It was $671.50 to me)

Reads
-----
CO had done a few min-raises before, and while I'm faily sure he had a decent hand, it could also mean a drawing hand. The UTG player recently joined the table, and I really have no idea how he plays.

My line
-------
Sweet, sweet flop. I weak-lead, in hopes of CO having a big hand that he'd raise with, smelling weakness, so that I could re-raise. The UTG smoothcall could mean anything, but I'm pretty sure we're talking some kind of straight draw, or a decent queen).

When CO makes the re-raise (something he hasn't done without a strong hand before), I'm 90% sure he has aces or kings, at worst AQ. Either way, I got my wish, but here's where the plan went wrong. My re-raise caused utg to push over the top for almost $700 more.

I have a bad feeling, but consider the following:

- He has J9, KJ or similar and wants the pot heads up with the guy who obviously has him beat right now, but with my dead money in the pot, thinking I'd have to fold.
- We have the same hand
- He has a set of 5's.

What do we do?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Re: 5/10 - Top two, weakleader/raise greeted with two all-ins. Now what?

Pots like 1800? so 3:1, this situation really really sucks.

A range of QTs 55 wouldn't be enough. You need either QTo in there all the time or KJs 9Js. Doing this w/ KJs 9Js would be a really ballsy play which i think is rarely happening and QTo isn't there all the time, a combiation of both of them being possible may just make it a breakeven call but it seems like a fold.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: 5/10 - Top two, weakleader/raise greeted with two all-ins. Now wha

Wow tough spot. UTG really shouldnt smoothcall a set vs your tiny bet in a 4way pot on this board. The problem is that we donīt know if he is a donkey that might slowplay that way and then get it in when he gets action. On the other hand it would take a really aggro player to go AI with KJ or J9 here in his spot.
If he may limp these hands UTG though I think I call because TT and QQ are so unlikely because of your hand so there are a lot more combinations of KJ and J9 than 55.
I wouldnt like it much though. Really tough.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 AM

Set would slowplay a lot here, he has preflop raiser behind him.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: 5/10 - Top two, weakleader/raise greeted with two all-ins. Now what?

No read so this is a hard one. Mabye a bit conservative but I think I would fold in this situasion. If he has a set and puts CO on a big hand I think its very well played. Dont think its a draw the way this one is played, and with no read I would not put him on that.
Another scenario is since UTG limped the CO just want to find out were he is and makes this play with a speculative hand that he can get away from if UTG reraise. I think he would raise more with hands like KK and AA cause he dont want to many players in preflop. The result here I think is he is the one with the set or maybe the draw, but I dont think you could call here.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Results

Resuls for those interested.

I made the marginal call, giving CO aces or kings, and being 70% sure UTG had me beat.. but it was just too tough given those odds (and me being stuck at the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

In white: <font color="white">Turn came a queen, river a 4.

UTG shows 5-5 for a lower boat, CO shows two red aces.

Hero bet $1,032, collected $2,485, net $1,453 Shows [ 10h Qs ] (a full house, Queens full of tens) </font>

I made the correct read, made the wrong play, and got rewarded for it. Ain't poker grand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Results

Oh yeah, and I later realized just how badly I played it.

The 5-5 player turned out to be a very solid, tricky player. Designed his bets very well, and knew how to set up situations to his benefit. There's no doubt in my mind that he was thinking the min-raiser had a big hand, and that's why he played it that way.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:16 PM

Your 3bet is WAY toooo small. Id go with 500-600.

As far as calling, you're going to see 55 a lot but they might have AA/KK/AQ/KJ/J9 enough, and you have good odds and a chance to fill up, so call.