Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Two hands that got me thinking semi deep in a mtt

The site i was playing on i cant figure out how to post the hand history so ill do the best i can explaining it. The first hand i think i made the correct play but the second hand i think i made because i was getting pissed at the villan. I just got moved to a new table with no reads... i have a 27k stack with 300/600 blinds. This tournament was a rebuy btw. There is 75 people left and top 50 cash.
I am second off the button and recieve AK off... utg smooth calls and it folds to me and i bump it up to 2700, it folds to the bb who goes all in with a 40k stack covering me, utg folds and, I decide its not worth it and fold. I was thinking he had AK QQ, JJ, but i really didnt think he would over bet that with KK or AA. I realized i had a big enough stack that i didnt need to risk it to a toss up and also being possibly behind.

a few hands later i pick up AcKs again 3 postions off the button... again there is a utg limper and i bump it up to 3000... the sb (same guy who re popped me all in)calls with around a 55k stack and i started the hand with a 23k stack. bb and utg folds and flop comes J72 all spades. So i have the K high flush draw. SB checks and so do i (think that it was a mistake checking) turn comes a 6 non spade and he bets the pot which is around 8k i believe... from a few hands ago i was still mad about that overbet all in and i really thought i could get him off the hand and i also had the second nut flush draw to back me up. I pushed all in 12k more and he thought for a while and finally called with AJ, i bricked the river and was out of the tourney. The funny thing is i should have thought about the hand more and folded realizing i still had 30 bbs lol but i was also playing to win. I thought he might have held a weak jack or a complete bluff and i could get him off the hand.

Any opinions on how i should have played these hands? Also sorry again if it is tough to read i just cant figure out how to post the HHs from cake poker.

Thanks...F
Old 10-06-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Two hands that got me thinking semi deep in a mtt

1st hand i think is fine. If you're that deep, i think folding AK is fine, prob prudent as well. The only thing that u might add to your thought process in situations like this is calculating the amt of dead money in the pot as a percentage of your stack. There will be a lot of hands where it will be EV+ to be flipping AI, if there is an overlay.

Hand 2. U made a pretty big mistake by not betting the flop. Your hand has a lot of equity against SB's calling range. If u bet here, you're hoping to get c/r'd, so u can 3-bet AI. SB misplayed this hand preflop and on the flop as well, so it's unfortunate that he got rewarded (although his turn call was good IMO.)
Old 10-06-2007, 04:06 AM

I would call the first hand - if you go with your read here it's borderline, but we see a shove from the BB with hands much worse than JJ,QQ,AK. So I think calling here is +EV anytime.

On the second hand, like erc saide, betting this flop with these stack sizes was a mistake. there is already 7k in the pot and you have 20k left - so I'd shove here.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 AM

First hand is fine but 2nd hand is horrible imo. What do you expect him to fold when you make him call 12k in to a 24k pot? N2m he's already showing strength by potting the turn. You should've fired flop and got the money in, but as played the turn is an easy fold.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:59 AM

My instinct is to shove the 1st one pretty damn quickly. But I can't fold AK. You need ~46.82% equity to break even (actually a little less than that b/c I assume there are antes that I haven't figured in).

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 39.785% 23.66% 16.13% 131241660 89482674.00 { AKo }
Hand 1: 60.215% 44.09% 16.13% 244579488 89482674.00 { JJ+, AKs, AKo }

That's about the tightest range he could have, but adjusting it a little bit doesn't gain you much equity. If you adjust his down a little to include like 99+,AQs+,AKo+ and you have AKs, then I think you have to call.

Anyhow, you didn't think he would play KK+ that way, so now what happens when we take those out of his range?

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 48.429% 29.23% 19.20% 42048264 27609036.00 { AKs }
Hand 1: 51.571% 32.38% 19.20% 46567200 27609036.00 { QQ-JJ, AKs, AKo }

Now we have a very clear call. If you trust your read that he wouldn't do that with KK+, then you should have insta-called this shove. If you think he is just as likely to have KK+ there, then it is actually correct to fold AK.

As for the the second hand, I really don't mind your play at all. You have a lot of options that are all pretty reasonable and you chose one.

Sherman
Old 10-06-2007, 11:58 AM

thanks for the help guys