Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the most annoying poster in this thread?
Snowball138 8 44.44%
Snowball138 2 11.11%
Snowball138 6 33.33%
Snowball138 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: PASSAMAN POST #666. BBV 10 COMMANDMENTS

I have more problems with religion than spirituality. I think Ghandi got it write when asked why he spoke so highly of Jesus Christ but refused to become a follower.

"Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

In my own personal opinion, The Bible has been used for thousands of years as a reason to oppress, torture, and scare people into believing whatever the ruler wants people to believe. Wars of religion have killed more people than any other type of war.

Everyone has their own reason for why what they think is actually God's word. Hell, people in Utah think God wants them to [censored] 13 year old girls.

I think most of the people you encounter on this board have also realized this fact, and that is why you see so much resentment towards religions here.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 PM

sorry if it's been asked a lot already, but what do you think about evolution?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:32 PM

For the sellers of afterlife insurance
Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
f the haters passaman, I liked it

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have more problems with religion than spirituality. I think Ghandi got it write when asked why he spoke so highly of Jesus Christ but refused to become a follower.

"Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

In my own personal opinion, The Bible has been used for thousands of years as a reason to oppress, torture, and scare people into believing whatever the ruler wants people to believe. Wars of religion have killed more people than any other type of war.

Everyone has their own reason for why what they think is actually God's word. Hell, people in Utah think God wants them to [censored] 13 year old girls.

I think most of the people you encounter on this board have also realized this fact, and that is why you see so much resentment towards religions here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made this exact point several times in the past year. That's why me and my church endeavor to not be religious at all, but to do our best to figure out how to live the life of Christ, i.e., how to be more loving, giving, working for peace and justice, protecting the environment, helping the marginalized of society, forgiving, understanding, etc. That is how the first Christians lived, and they were so radically different from everyone around them, that in a few generations, they changed the whole world. The modern church blew it big time, and now we are realizing it and are returning to the lives God has always called his people to live. If we had always done that, there would be a lot less skeptics. See, it's tough to argue with a changed life. But if most Christians you know actually act exactly like everyone else, only they waste an hour or two each Sunday, then what's the point? But if you see a discompassionate, hateful, selfish person be changed from the inside out by the love of God, it's hard to argue that what he or she believes is not real.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM

oh, I have a serious, non-trolling question that I've always wondered:

Christians believe that once you're saved or baptized or whatever (I dunno what the right terminology is), that you get into heaven automatically right? Like there's nothing you can do outside of rejecting Jeebus and friends, correct?

how does this work? So once you become a member of the religious club you can do whatever you want? So some dude who is saved but then becomes a serial killer gets into heaven while someone who's not religious but is an incredibly kind and giving person does not? If true, I don't think I really wanna hang out with your god.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Passaman,

Just curious, do you associate with women when they are on their period? I'm sure you know God strictly forbids it. (Leviticus 15:19-24)

It is honorable that you are trying to live as Christ does, but just by the very fact that you make judgements about us as people shows that you are not in fact living up to Christ.

Christ walked among the lowest of the low. He associated with prostitutes, and lepers.

Many Christians today turn their back towards people who they disagree with, when that is the VERY thing Christ would argue against.

I grew up in a Christian household that many would probably consider "looney" or "extreme". A lot of my resentment towards Christianity is a result of my parent's friends disowning them because they got a divorce. It was like we were no longer good enough to be in the Christian community.

There are definitely some good things religion does for the world, but overall I would say there is a huge deficit when it comes to good things vs bad things.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Christians believe that once you're saved or baptized or whatever (I dunno what the right terminology is), that you get into heaven automatically right? Like there's nothing you can do outside of rejecting Jeebus and friends, correct?

how does this work? So once you become a member of the religious club you can do whatever you want? So some dude who is saved but then becomes a serial killer gets into heaven while someone who's not religious but is an incredibly kind and giving person does not? If true, I don't think I really wanna hang out with your god.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible says that we're forgiven by grace, and there's nothing anyone can do that's bad enough to outpace the free gift of grace. You're correct in your assumption that people can reject Jesus and invalidate their salvation (I believe this, others don't). But instead of viewing this as somehow unfair, view it in the scope of the vastness of God's grace and love. It's free and available to everyone, no matter what.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you repent your sins and ask God for forgiveness you can get into heaven no matter what you have done!

No sin is supposedly worse than the others in the eyes of God yet somehow modern day Christians latch on to a few moral sins and try to make them seem worse than the others. Prime example being homosexuality, and sexual promiscuity.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Passa, I should probably let this thread drop as I suggested, but I have a question.

Have you ever read The Kingdom of God is Within You by Tolstoy? I just started it, and I'm wondering what you think of the non-resistance theory that it said Jesus preached. Is that true christianity? If the church opposed this idea (I think it does), is someone who worships independently a true christian?

(to relieve the pressure, I'm not looking for an absolute answer, just a Christian's opinion. I don't know too many [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )