Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Default 10/05/06-- Cardplayer.com\'s analysis on the bill by an attorney

Sorry if this has already been posted. I didn't see it in the FAQ and I don't have time to sift through the dozens of pages of posts in the last couple weeks:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news...lass=PokerNews

Thoughts please.

Caddy
Old 10-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 10/05/06-- Cardplayer.com\'s analysis on the bill by an attorney

Yes, this has been discussed. It's accurate as far as it goes, but it neglects to discuss how the UIGEA may interact with various state anti-gambling laws. It's not just the Wire Act that matters.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:08 PM

Default I would have preferred a hypothetical \"defense\" she would offer in Cal

Really, she should not try and puff her stated credentials.That she claims she taught "the" correct method of statutory analysis undercuts her credibility tremendously. Statutory construction is a field which changes over time and circumstances. There are general rules of construction, but no single "correct" method.

It would be simpler to say, she is married to the CardPlayer publisher, a member of the PPA Board, and a graduate of Southwestern Law School, an experienced crominal law attorney, et cetera. That bit about going to Court "thousands of times' interpreting statutes is puffery and nonsense.

I have been told Mrs. Shulman practiced criminal law in California before marrying Barry. All she really needed to do was say, look ... if this law would be applied in a criminal trial, here are the arguments. THAT would have been a very useful insight ....

Mrs. Shulman's access to a platform to report is good, I wish she would use it to inform WHAT the PPA is doing, other than collecting money.

Better yet, she could use 25 years of experience to outline succinctly, how SHE would defend a hypothetical defendant poker site charged for taking a deposit from California.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: I would have preferred a hypothetical \"defense\" she would offer in

She comes to the same conclusions as Nielson Rose, so that's good news.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Re: I would have preferred a hypothetical \"defense\" she would offer in

This is good news, I like it.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: 10/05/06-- Cardplayer.com\'s analysis on the bill by an attorney

I like it...