Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Default FT 24+2, tough spot w JJ

at work no HH.

middle of 2nd hour. MP1 was a very passive player that limped a lot and would call raises if more than one person was in the pot. CO was terrible. Once he raised PF he would not take his foot off the accelerator no matter what. On two previous hands he had raised a limper, both times with A8s and ATs when checked to he either slightly overbet pot or shoved with completely whiffed hands and obviously caught his 3 outter in both scenarios to have a decent stack. in any case, he was awful.

Stacks:
me,SB (6100)
MP1 (4500)
CO (7100)

blinds 100/200 I am in SB w JJ. MP1 limps and CO raises to 900.

First off, raise call or fold? I think folding is out of the question. I think im clearly ahead of COs range but have an awkward stack to RR with so i opt to call. MP1 calls.

Flop: KKT r

I check, MP1 checks and villain (surprise!) bets 2800.

Me? fold or shove? I dont think there is anyway Co has a Kor TT, nor do i think he has AA although AA has to be in the range. So COs range IMO is AA, QQ, JJ, AT, JT other whiffed As (AK) and then 77-99.

MP1 could definitely have a K but i think her range is so wide that she can be somewhat discounted, but under the circumstances is till cause for some concern.

Given COs range which i strongly believe im ahead of and MP1 with god knows what, is this a fold or shove?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: FT 24+2, tough spot w JJ

not interesting? please humor me with at least a one word response.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 PM

I would repop PF. As played I would shove and expect calls from Tx, smaller pairs. No one really makes it 2800 on that flop with 3 kings. Esp. with your read.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 PM

I think you should reraise PF. Even though your stack is a tad big for pushing all-in, a case can certainly be made for it since he can be "zomg, AK" and call with lower PPs, which will be harder to stack postflop. You can also reraise to say 2.5k and push any flop (or call a push), stacks are nice for a go-n-go.

As played, I'd shove it all-in on the flop. As you say, chances are decent he doesn't have a K/have you beat. There is of course a chance MP1 has you beat, but her range is way wider than just hands that beat you.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask if you should fold if you think you're ahead of CO's range?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should reraise PF. Even though your stack is a tad big for pushing all-in, a case can certainly be made for it since he can be "zomg, AK" and call with lower PPs, which will be harder to stack postflop. You can also reraise to say 2.5k and push any flop (or call a push), stacks are nice for a go-n-go.

As played, I'd shove it all-in on the flop. As you say, chances are decent he doesn't have a K/have you beat. There is of course a chance MP1 has you beat, but her range is way wider than just hands that beat you.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask if you should fold if you think you're ahead of CO's range?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i said i was not folding PF, so that was whether i should call or raise PF. on the flop i have to consider folding because i have a stack to work with if i fold, there is a 3rd person to act that could have me beat. if its just me and villain i have a lot easier time getting all in on this flop.

in hindsight, i like your idea of shoving PF cuz villain will for sure put me on AK and its the best way to stack worse PPs but for such a big shove i think villains calling range gets weighted towards AK and QQ+ but that may be a poor assumption on my part.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM

Shoving preflop is clearly the best move here. Shove it in and hope he calls with a lower pp or an AX where X is J or worse. If he folds big deal, it should look more like Ak too and get you some looser calls cuz he "thinks hes racing".

Edit: shove over his flop bet as played, you probably have him almost all the time here.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 PM

with your read I like to get it in preflop here...as it is you got a fairly good flop but many others will forse you into tough decisions