FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: D
Ravens @ NO 3 30.00%
Giants @ TB 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: please read if you are a supernova

Yeah, I hate losing that much value.
But I also hate locking myself in to play those damn tourneys every Saturday because there's no other option to opt-out of them unless you just want to skip the free cash.

So I'm starting to come around to the idea of a free $800 without having to do anything really vs. the 2-hour time-commitment that comes at kind of a crappy part of the day/week when I would frequently be doing other normal Saturday-type activities.

But on many of those Saturdays though I would just be sitting around and playing while watching football anyway. So some of the time those tourneys actually don't interfere with my schedule at all and they are actually half-way enjoyable as much as a $50 buy-in MTT can be.

And since I figure that once or twice a month I would be playing anyway and don't feel bitter about practically feeling like I HAVE to show up (which is obviously something I do to myself more than something Stars does to me) I think the value vs. time-commitment thing still sways towards the tourneys in my situation.

but the freeroll was worth $65 or $70 at the beginning of the year I think. And I think it was worth over $100 in Apr, 2006 when they first started them.
And now it's down to $47 and I think it's likely to keep falling. So the $17/wk free-cash each week definitely starts to look more attractive when that is factored in.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:26 PM

Your $50/week freeroll calculation doesn't take into account the time it takes to play the tournament. I think it would be -EV for me to play it even if I could play it whenever I wanted. If I could get $0.01 added to my account each year, it'd be better than the freerolls.

If some people would prefer the freerolls, that's fine. Still offer the freerolls to those who want them. But you're giving certain players $0 when you have the freerolls as the only option.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Right.
For the comparison here you can practically look at it as "Would you like to pay $17 to play an overlay MTT that has a $47 value?"

I've passed-up overlay tournaments before. But for that much of an overlay I would normally play such a tourney.

I completely agree with your assessment that for many people it would be better to get just $0.01 in cash.
There was a long stretch where I would have been unavailable to play them completely if they were on Sundays instead of Saturdays. I am just fortunate that they mostly fit into my weekly schedule decently enough even if I do occasionally cancel other plans.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:58 PM

I really feel cheated out of money on these freerolls, and it mega-tilts me just thinking about it.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Option B would be ok with me.
Or so would 1 monthly freeroll for 400k. Have escalating chip counts based on ur status ex;
Silver x chips
Gold xx chips
Platnium xxx chips
SN xxxx chips
SNE xxxxx chips
This would make it worth time to take to play. And diff. chip counts for each status would make the value for each status diff. but give everyone a chance to win a decent prize with only taken up 1 afternoon a month.
Got 400k from;
20k x 52= 1040000
50k x 52= 2600000
100k x 12= 1200000
= 4.84 mil/12=roughly 400K
Old 09-30-2007, 06:17 PM

B>>>>>>C>A
Old 09-30-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my problem. I work Retail, which means I NEVER have a saturday free (and vary rarely) a sunday free for tourney play.

So, I Think i've gotten to play in one of the Supernova tournies because I was physically unable to go to work that day.

This is the reason I would have to vote option b!

I'd rather play the freerolls and have a shot at winning some real money, but it is really not possible for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a Supernova, why the hell are you working retail? Seems like your winrate would be much, much better playing full time.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:08 PM

It's not hard to make Supernova at all. The mindset that the SN's are some hugely high-volume, all-winning players is really off.

To get 10k VPP/mth or 2.5k/wk is not very much.
Getting SN playing 1/2 limit or even .5/1 NL would be incredibly easy assuming you are capable of multi-tabling 4-8 or more. I suspect one could do it at lower stakes too would be possible with a bit more work.
But those are the lowest stakes where I think it would still be reasonably easy.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 PM

Scotty- I would also like to vote for 'option B'.

Microbob- The lost value is definitely worth freeing up a Saturday to me, and probably to you too once you think it all through.

I would also like to say that for me personally, 'option C' (Sunday) is better than the status quo as far as my personal schedule. I also would be much more likely to play the Sunday Million with that setup.

But I would much rather have the bonus and scrap the freeroll. Plus I think it would be more appealing to new players coming into the VIP program. Players love bonuses, and the guarantee of a bonus every month (I miss the days when all the sites had these) would likely be a huge selling point.

I wonder if we could suck up to Scotty enough to get a bonus value of $85 a month instead of the $70 he is proposing. This would give us all >$1000 a year which is pretty sweet IMO.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 PM

I know that that since many supernovas dont play the free rolls that if you gave something as a replacement the value would be lower...but is there any chance of giving Supernovas a monthly ticket to the Sunday Million instead of the freerolls.

I understand that you would be giving SN's a bit more, but its not a lot relative to the rake we pay, and I think it would be a much more popular alternative.....

just thing of the marketing....We give our supernovas the chance to win millions of dollars.....

Given the choice I would go for the bonus instead of the freerolls.