FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Fan Base
Cubs 6 66.67%
White Sox 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Banks Are Reversing PokerStars Checks

[ QUOTE ]
All is becoming clearer. I am having the exact same problem with Bodog checks at Citizen's Bank. Time to visit Fleet.

If they return the checks to me, will I have any problem depositing them to a different bank, or will I need new checks?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Citizens' Bank is a subsidiary of the Royal Bank of Scotland, which was one of the banks that warned that it was going to take a hard line on gambling transactions once the UIGEA went into play. See below.

http://www.pokerlistings.com/uk-bank...s-about-us-ban
Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All is becoming clearer. I am having the exact same problem with Bodog checks at Citizen's Bank. Time to visit Fleet.

If they return the checks to me, will I have any problem depositing them to a different bank, or will I need new checks?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Citizens' Bank is a subsidiary of the Royal Bank of Scotland, which was one of the banks that warned that it was going to take a hard line on gambling transactions once the UIGEA went into play. See below.

http://www.pokerlistings.com/uk-bank...s-about-us-ban

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Nate. The story is starting to make more sense.

I'm going to see if I can get the check #s (I'm not exactly sure what they all were) and just cancel them/get the original bank to send new ones if that's at all possible. And deposit them into a different bank. Seem plausible?

This is really [censored] annoying.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they have to return the checks to you if they don't give you credit or reverse the credit. The check is what establishes your legal claim to the money from whoever wrote it. At least in theory you should be able to deposit them in another bank. In principle this isn't any different than a retailer sending a check back through the system after it has been returned for insufficient funds once which is a common practice. I think there might be some limit to this, but sending them through the system one more time should be okay. Possibly you'll need to sweet talk someone at the new bank if they have any concerns and let them know that you're okay with them putting the maximum hold on the check. That way they can make sure that it has cleared before letting you at the money. If it is a new bank for you they're going to do this anyway.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they have to return the checks to you if they don't give you credit or reverse the credit. The check is what establishes your legal claim to the money from whoever wrote it. At least in theory you should be able to deposit them in another bank. In principle this isn't any different than a retailer sending a check back through the system after it has been returned for insufficient funds once which is a common practice. I think there might be some limit to this, but sending them through the system one more time should be okay. Possibly you'll need to sweet talk someone at the new bank if they have any concerns and let them know that you're okay with them putting the maximum hold on the check. That way they can make sure that it has cleared before letting you at the money. If it is a new bank for you they're going to do this anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My concern is that they'll stamp it with something annoying and I won't be able to get copies of a new check from the original bank. I just bugged CB about all of this, they're going to get back to me with more info tomorrow theoretically. Getting those checks back unscathed is kinda important, but I hope that if I don't, given the bank issuing them is US (I think?!), I can get new ones sent and the old ones cancelled.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Any banks other than Citizens Bank involved in \"reversing\" checks ?

This sounds like an isolated instance and a likely violation of Article 9 (?) of the UCC. Simply put, there is NO fraud involved, cashouts are NOT even covered by the UIGE Act and Citizens Bank clearly does not want your business.

Demand the give you back the check andcontact the site for a replacement.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My concern is that they'll stamp it with something annoying and I won't be able to get copies of a new check from the original bank. I just bugged CB about all of this, they're going to get back to me with more info tomorrow theoretically. Getting those checks back unscathed is kinda important, but I hope that if I don't, given the bank issuing them is US (I think?!), I can get new ones sent and the old ones cancelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the original bank can't create new checks, only their customer (presumably the check processor for whichever site this is) can. However short of destroying the check or stamping it with something obnoxious you should still be good to deposit at another bank. If they do anything like that you've got a legitimate issue with CB. I'm sure you don't remember what bank the check is drawn on, but your best bet might be to go to a branch of that bank if there is one in your area. I believe the OP's check was drawn on Wells Fargo, but yours' might be different.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Any banks other than Citizens Bank involved in \"reversing\" checks ?

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like an isolated instance and a likely violation of Article 9 (?) of the UCC. Simply put, there is NO fraud involved, cashouts are NOT even covered by the UIGE Act and Citizens Bank clearly does not want your business.

Demand the give you back the check and contact the site for a replacement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Milton,

You don't happen to know what a consumer's options are in this situation (assuming this is in violation of the UCC). Compain to the appropriate regulators (state or federal depending on the charter) or something else? I'd think if enough people created a stink CB would get their act together.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Any banks other than Citizens Bank involved in \"reversing\" checks ?

[ QUOTE ]

Demand the give you back the check andcontact the site for a replacement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right.. Initially the bank tried to tell me it was a deposit I made in April. I said "No, that was a cash deposit." Then they said it was another deposit I made in April and I wasn't sure about that one. Only apon questioning them again did they tell me it was my stars check I deposited in mid March.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am under the impression that once a bank clears a check it is then their liability.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely correct, my friend. Do not let anyone dissuade you of this belief.

Idi

[/ QUOTE ]

gimmick account post of the year nomination right here

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Idi is consistently excellent but this may be his finest work yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

what happened to Idi's myspace page [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I put him in my top8 and he disappeared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad you noticed, my friend.

I received notification a week ago that my page had been deleted. Myspace, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that my myspace page violated their terms and conditions. However, they were unable to pinpoint exactly which terms and conditions I violated. I asked Myspace to reconsider, but they flatly rejected my request. I believe that they employ the same customer service personnel as many of our favorite poker sites.

It is a shame, as my page was an excellent source of revenue for myself, as well as a wonderful means of meeting young women.

Your friend,
Idi
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am under the impression that once a bank clears a check it is then their liability.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely correct, my friend. Do not let anyone dissuade you of this belief.

Idi

[/ QUOTE ]

gimmick account post of the year nomination right here

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Idi is consistently excellent but this may be his finest work yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

what happened to Idi's myspace page [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I put him in my top8 and he disappeared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad you noticed, my friend.

I received notification a week ago that my page had been deleted. Myspace, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that my myspace page violated their terms and conditions. However, they were unable to pinpoint exactly which terms and conditions I violated. I asked Myspace to reconsider, but they flatly rejected my request. I believe that they employ the same customer service personnel as many of our favorite poker sites.

It is a shame, as my page was an excellent source of revenue for myself, as well as a wonderful means of meeting young women.

Your friend,
Idi

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL