FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 16. 6m BTN w/ AJs
Raise 28 75.68%
Call 4 10.81%
Fold 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

Welcome Greenbird! I'll be interested to see your recipe for the soup. I really enjoy coconut milk based soups. And, you seem to have solved the pumpkin frying problem with the tempura. How did they turn out?

Sam--I'm sorry you didn't get to make your pies. Post if you get to it. I'd be interested in the differences in the textures and flavors. I love the photos of the heirloom pumpkins especially the comparison shots of the innards. It's really interesting. I bought some more standard pie pumpkins because I had a few more ideas, but I never got around to them. I stuck them outside for Halloween decoration last night.

All--I'll put up the poll and start the November thread sometime this morning. I think we should extend the time for the poll. We have so many entries and it just seems a shame not to allow more people to vote. One month for cooking and two days for voting doesn't seem to be enough. What should it be three days? Longer? Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put up the poll and start the November thread sometime this morning. I think we should extend the time for the poll. We have so many entries and it just seems a shame not to allow more people to vote. One month for cooking and two days for voting doesn't seem to be enough. What should it be three days? Longer? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's any rush to finish the poll. Three or even four days sound fine. Are we going with the Poll 'o People and the Poll 'o Dishes? (I think we should.) Do you want a hand compiling the massive list of images?

For November, are we happy with Cranberry? We could vote on the new theme, but at the moment we only have one candidate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Does everyone get to vote? Even if you didn't cook? I have been a lurker for a LONG time on this forum, but haven't posted in quite a while. This thread got me really interested though! While I didn't have the time to do any pumpkin dishes this month, I'm really looking forward to Nov's challenge...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's any rush to finish the poll. Three or even four days sound fine. Are we going with the Poll 'o People and the Poll 'o Dishes? (I think we should.) Do you want a hand compiling the massive list of images?

For November, are we happy with Cranberry? We could vote on the new theme, but at the moment we only have one candidate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I think we definitely should do people poll and dish poll, and I think Cranberry is the clear winner for November. Actually, if you wouldn't mind compiling the images and putting up the poll, I'd be really grateful. I've a got a sick 4 month-old and a serious lack of sleep to deal with today. Ugh. But I'm happy to do it, if need be.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does everyone get to vote? Even if you didn't cook? I have been a lurker for a LONG time on this forum, but haven't posted in quite a while. This thread got me really interested though! While I didn't have the time to do any pumpkin dishes this month, I'm really looking forward to Nov's challenge...

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can participate and anyone can vote! We only ask that people take a little time and try to vote according to the criteria: creative use of the ingredient, execution, and presentataion.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Pumpkin dishes, by person. Don't let the poll stop the discussion, or even the posting, if anybody just missed the deadline. You'll be out of the running for the cash & prizes, but you'll still be eligible for cool points, and even "props".

[b]<font color="orange">BK_</font>

Scallops on Pumpkin Polenta Cakes w/ Pumpkin Basil Sauce

Wild Sea Bass w/ Pumpkin Sauce, Pumpkin Seeds, Hazlenuts, &amp; Pumpkin Chips

Pumpkin-Goat Cheese Croquettes w/ Maple Marscapone over MicroGreens &amp; Pumpkin Vinaigrette

<font color="orange">BretWeir</font>

Pumpkin Popover &amp; Pumpkin Mustard Bruschetta

Pulled Lamb w/ Pumpkin Dumplings

Chilled Pumpkin Parfait

<font color="orange">El Sapo</font>

Savory "Pumpkin Pie" Ravioli

Pumpkin Arincini

Pumpkin-Crusted Beef w/ Sweet Potato-Potato-Pumpkin Puree

Butter Poached Pumpkin "Gnocci"

<font color="orange">Greenbird</font>

Silky Coconut Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin Tempura

Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding

<font color="orange">Mermade</font>

Pepita Pistachio Encrusted Rack of Lamb w/ Glazed Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Pie

"Spaghetti" w/ Pumpkinball

Spicy Pumpkin &amp; Beef Empanaditas

<font color="orange">milliondollaz</font>

Pumpkin Soup

Grilled Chicken Breasts and Spinach w/ Pumpkin Seeds

BUTTER Roasted Pumpkin w/ Clover Honey

<font color="orange">Ron Burgundy</font>

Roast Duck w/ Curry-Pumpkin Gelee &amp; Pumpkin Fries

Pumpkin Flambe w/ Pumpkinseed Brittle &amp; Ice Cream

<font color="orange">[b]SamIAm</font>

Pumpkin Muffins

Pumpkin Ginger Ale

Pumpkin Hummus w/ Pumpkin Chips

Pumpkin Gratin

Pumpkin Gnocchi

Pumpkin Seed Brittle

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Pumpkin Ravioli

Pecan Pumpkin Fudge

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

<font color="orange">Mrs. Utah</font>

Curried Pumpkin &amp; Leek Flan

Spicy Grilled Chicken w/ Pumpkin Mole
Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 PM

SamIAm: I made a version of the homemade ginger ale (sans pumpkin) over the weekend. The flavors were really good, but the carbonation was lacking. How carbonated did yours come out? Was it similar to a commercial soda?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Pole time! Remember to vote according to the criteria: creative use of the ingredient, execution, and presentataion.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SamIAm: I made a version of the homemade ginger ale (sans pumpkin) over the weekend. The flavors were really good, but the carbonation was lacking. How carbonated did yours come out? Was it similar to a commercial soda?

[/ QUOTE ]Very cool. My carbonation probably wasn't as strong as commercial soda, but it wasn't really lacking. On the other hand, my yeast-taste wasn't lacking, either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What kind of yeast did you use? How much yeast and how long did you let it sit?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Very cool. My carbonation probably wasn't as strong as commercial soda, but it wasn't really lacking. On the other hand, my yeast-taste wasn't lacking, either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What kind of yeast did you use? How much yeast and how long did you let it sit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sat for 36 to 48 hours, but re-reading your results I found a difference: you said it was difficilt to dent the plastic bottle, whereas I could dent it but there was definitely resistance.

I may have stopped the process too early, worried the bottle might explode.

I'll try again. I'd like to be able to do it in smaller bottles, or to rebottle after the initial fermentation (if that's what it is), but I don't know if that works...