View Poll Results: 16. 6m BTN w/ AJs
Raise 28 75.68%
Call 4 10.81%
Fold 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

mermade,

I love the "spaghetti" idea. It's that kind of outside the box thinking that makes me horny for cooking. And the secret ingredient is featured so prominently. Well done.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 AM

I deleted that pic because I wasn't sure it added anything and I was embarrased about the state of my baking pan.

When I moved into our house I was super excited to have a double oven. Then I learned that only the micro-est (13" x 9") of cookie sheets fits into either one. Anything bigger and the edges of the pan get too close to the sides of the oven, the pan overheats, and everything burns. If you can believe it, I only have 2 baking pans that size. I should get new ones. I've been thinking about getting some nice aluminum ones and silpat mats too. Anyone use these? Thoughts? BTW, the big heap of dough in one corner is just the empanada my 4 1/2 year old made all by himself.

The empanada circles were approx 2" in diameter. The finished one is sitting on a blue espresso saucer to get a sense of scale. Each one could fit a heaping teaspoon or so of filling. They were cute in mini-size and that was what I was going for, but larger takes more filling obviously. I have a bunch of filling leftover that I think I may have this morning with some eggs, hot sauce, and a dollop of sour cream.

I chilled the dough for the sake of workability, but actually had to work the chilled dough my hands a bit to warm it enough to roll it. So, I don't think it was necessary.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM

There are 10 days left of pumpkin challenge, which is plenty of time for those who have been slacking (you know who you are) to throw something together.

Let's start talking about what we might want for November's challenge.

I am really pleased with this back to old-school IC secret ingredient thing. Want to continue this way. Thoughts? BTW, I also liked the fact that the ingredient this time was seasonal. Pumpkins in October are fun.

I nominate cranberries for next month. I never use them but can imagine we could think of tons of great ideas, and they should be everywhere in stores soon.

Toss out your ideas or bag on mine...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:56 PM

Mermade, sorry about outing your secret picture. I did have a guess about who made the empanada in the corner. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If it'll make you feel any better, I can show you my cookie sheet that a roommate used as a cutting board...

[ QUOTE ]
I should get new ones. I've been thinking about getting some nice aluminum ones and silpat mats too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know that they do make smaller silpats. I'm really not a very avid (or skilled) baker, but if you use a silpat, does it matter much what your cookiesheet looks like? I never really thought about it, but if you have silicon insulating the cookies from the pan, it also shouldn't matter much how well the sheet conducts heat. Right?

[ QUOTE ]
I am really pleased with this back to old-school IC secret ingredient thing. Want to continue this way. Thoughts? BTW, I also liked the fact that the ingredient this time was seasonal. Pumpkins in October are fun.

I nominate cranberries for next month.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good idea! I definitely dig the seasonal ingredients. Cranberry seems easily savory or sweet, and really adaptable. I know we talked about alternating goofy/traditional, but cranberry sound really fun. Maybe we can do a more "method based" theme or whatever in December. (I couldn't think of a good December seasonal ingredient anyway. Ice?)
Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 PM

I finally decided just to embrace the "pumpkin pie spice".

<font color="orange">Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls</font>

1 C Pumpkin
5 Egg yolks
1 Egg white
1/4 C Sugar
6 T Butter
4 oz Buttermilk
?5 Cups AP Flour
2 3/8 t Instant dry yeast
1 1/4 t Salt

1 C Brown sugar
1 t Cinnamon
1 t Nutmeg
1 t Cloves
1 t Allspice
2 T Butter

1/3 C Cream Cheese
2 T Milk
1 T Pumpkin
2 C Powdered Sugar

Whisk the pumpkin, eggs, sugar, melted butter, and buttermilk. When combined, add 2 C of flour and mix some more.

Switch to the hook and add the flour about a cup at a time, till it just becomes a soft dough. (The action shot below isn't there yet. You can see it sticking to the bowl.)

Remove from the bowl and kneed for a minute.

Form into a nice ball, spray with non-stick, and let rise in a warm place. After about 3 hours, it'll have doubled in size.

After 3 hours, it is risen. Punch it down and roll it into a 1'x1.5' rectangle. Melt the butter and brush onto all but the top half inch. Mix the rest of the filling ingredients and pat them onto the rest of the rectangle.

Gently roll into a long tube. A bench scraper really helped here.

Cut into 12 disks with a serrated knife and place in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and chill over night. This will improve the texture, even though it's kinda a pain in the butt.

The next day, proof the rolls by placing them in a cold oven with a pan of boiling water. Leave them there for 30 minutes to wake-up the lil' yeasties.

Remove the pans and preheat to 350. Bake for about 30 minutes. (I might go 25 next time, for that gooey, cinnabun(tm) taste.)

Whisk all the ingredients for the glaze, brush on, and serve.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM

WOW great cooking so far this month. I just got back from a bit of a food / wine vacation (trip report to come) so this is the first time I have seen all the entries, and everything looks creative and delicious. Easily the best iron chef so far. I am especially impressed with ElSapo's lamb and Bretweir's bruschetta and lamb. All of them are great though...

With all of the meat main courses posted already, I am going to try and make some sort of seafood main course tonight. I wanted to make duck but the butcher was out this morning. Maybe pumpkin risotto with scallops and pumpkin sauce? Or even fish?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM

<font color="orange"> CURRIED PUMPKIN AND LEEK FLAN</font>

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut pumpkin in half and place cut side down on an oiled baking sheet. Bake until easily pierced with a knife, 45 minutes or so. I used a sugar pumpkin. Let cool the scrape out pulp and seeds. Spoon pumpkin into blender and puree until smooth.
I did this the night before and it kept in the fridge.

Melt 2T unsalted butter over medium heat and add 6 leeks. Rinsed and cut approx 1 inch into the green. Chop into 1/2 inch dice and cook in the butter for 30- 40 minutes until very soft, almost falling apart.

In a bowl wisk together 3 eggs plus 3 egg yolks, 1 c heavy whipping cream, 2 T sugar, 1t curry powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 1/2 cups of pureed pumpkin and the leeks and combine.

Butter 6 ramekins and divide the mixture evenly. Place ramekins in a baking pan and add boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

Cover loosely with foil and bake at 375 for 20-35 minutes or until center of flan if firm and slightly browned.

<font color="orange"> SAUCE</font>

In a saucepan combine 1 1/2 c chicken stock, 1/2 c heavy whipping cream, and 1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin.
Boil, gently until reduced by half . season to taste with salt and pepper.

Once flans are removed from oven let cool for 5 minutes then carefully run a knife around each flan and invert onto individual plates.
Serve with sauce and garnish with flat leaf parsley.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:56 PM

mrs. utah is back! never would have thought to combine pumpkin and leek in a flan... looks great though.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 PM

BK,

I think we had the same ideas. I'm going to try a duck dish if I can find a fresh one, after I get the caricas and vanilla beans I ordered on Amazon.

I think fish could work, but pumpkin is kind of strong/heavy and could overpower a mild fish. But if used carefully it would be very good.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Amazing work everyone - and I love the videos!