Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 AM

Default the evolution of morality

Asst. Prof Joshua Greene's area of study fits right into many of the forum discussions.

Thisfrom todays Sci Amer Article

[ QUOTE ]
"Part of normal development is this emotional responding to another human being," he says. "It's not something you have to learn or you have to go have a specific religious experience to pick up, or have a cultural experience…. It is based on emotionally responding to others, and there's a part of the brain dedicated to that."

[/ QUOTE ]

From his homepage I then reached this - from an article of his in Nature Reviews Neuroscience -

"A world full of people who regard their moral
convictions as reflections of personal values rather than reflections of ‘the objective moral
truth’ might be a happier and more peaceful
place than the world we currently inhabit".

That seems to capture some of the exchanges on here.

My take - we have evolved a sense of morality but it's too broad brush, especially for todays social conditions, including mobility and mass weapons, and it needs to be mixed with a gollop of rationality.

luckyme
Old 03-22-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: the evolution of morality

[ QUOTE ]
Asst. Prof Joshua Greene's area of study fits right into many of the forum discussions.

Thisfrom todays Sci Amer Article

[ QUOTE ]
"Part of normal development is this emotional responding to another human being," he says. "It's not something you have to learn or you have to go have a specific religious experience to pick up, or have a cultural experience…. It is based on emotionally responding to others, and there's a part of the brain dedicated to that."

[/ QUOTE ]

From his homepage I then reached this - from an article of his in Nature Reviews Neuroscience -

"A world full of people who regard their moral
convictions as reflections of personal values rather than reflections of ‘the objective moral
truth’ might be a happier and more peaceful
place than the world we currently inhabit".

That seems to capture some of the exchanges on here.

My take - we have evolved a sense of morality but it's too broad brush, especially for todays social conditions, including mobility and mass weapons, and it needs to be mixed with a gollop of rationality.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

And not just too broad a brush, but there are 'moral illusions' just as sure as there are optical ones, and for the same reason.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Re: the evolution of morality

[ QUOTE ]
And not just too broad a brush, but there are 'moral illusions' just as sure as there are optical ones, and for the same reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donald Hoffman's "Visual Intelligence - How we create what we see" was fascinating. I haven't heard the term 'moral illusions' before, but I can see the similarity.

Do you have a few examples or a handy-dandy link that uses that approach?

luckyme