Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Default When to float and when to raise?

I'd like some advice please on when I should be raising the flop with a good but not great hand and when I should flat call and look to make a move on the turn. In both these hands I feel I'm probably ahead but a bit unsure on my plan for the rest of the hand.

My thinking is that raising might win the pot now (good) but create a large pot with an OKish hand (bad). While calling keeps things a but simpler at the expense of giving free cards.

HAND 1 - Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.20
10 players
Converter

Effective stacks here are $20. CO is 20/10/2.5 over 800 hands.

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
5 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $0.8</font>, Hero calls, 3 folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.1, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">CO bets $1.05</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ???</font>

HAND 2 - Villain is 20/10/3.3 over a very small sample. Again effective stacks $20

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.20
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.8</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.9, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1.9</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ???</font>
Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: When to float and when to raise?

I would float #1 and raise #2. You might be able to bluff #1 if another club comes.

The pot sized bet on #2 seems a little suspicious. I would raise and see how opponent reacts. If he raises I'm out, if he calls and bets out turn I probably fold at that point. If he calls flop raise and checks turn I would probably check in most cases unless the board is non-threatening and bet against weakish players.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: When to float and when to raise?

#1 I definitely don't raise. You don't want to build a big pot with 2nd pair. You'll only get called by better hands or AJ/ATc. I'm playing this hand passively the whole way unimproved. I don't think at this level you could get a better hand to fold if another club comes.

#2 I like a raise. Against a nit, I'd call to see if they bet again, because nits don't bet twice with overcards. Against this opponent, I raise because ace high might call. You also take the initiative and will be able to control the pot size on the turn by checking behind. If non-threatening cards come on the turn and river, you might induce ace high to bluff.