View Poll Results: Would you like to See 66's follow-up
Yes 14 70.00%
Who cares 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: AC and power

[ QUOTE ]
I just lost a really long and detailed response to pvn's issues about geographic permeability in states / political arrangements, as well as his other objections to my last post... [censored] GOD DAMMIT. Like an hour's worth of stuff down the drain.

I'm going out to eat with the lady friend, but let me just say, I think this habit of responding to posts line by line really inhibits a good discussion. Sometimes you give a snappy objection to a thought that is elaborated further on in the post, or you ask why something is relevant when I'm getting to it in just a few lines. Responding to someone's thoughts in their entirety, rather than line by line, shows that you're making an effort to understand them and address their overall intent and meaning. I don't think this line-for-line, tit-for-tat method is good at all, and I think people should avoid it. It turns the conversation into a series of one-liners rather than a dialogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to like it a lot. It prevents people from getting away with burying presuppositions that they can not back up (or do not want to be questioned on) but try to use as part of a foundation of an argument.

p.s. I am still waiting for that reply from you.