Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Canterbury Fall Classic - hotels

Planning on playing a few events at the Canterbury Fall Classic in October and was wondering if anyone could offer hotel advice. For me, close location is first priority and price would be second.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Canterbury Fall Classic - hotels

Excellent question..........good luck to the VIKINGS this season.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:17 PM

There is a hotel just down the street from Canterbury that, to the best of my knowledge, has a deal with Canterbury to offer somewhat of a "player rate". I can not say for sure if this is still the case. Sandalwood or something like that?

Canterbury Inn and AmericInn Shakopee seem to be within about 2 minutes driving of the card room. Even staying at one of the many hotels by Mall of America keeps you about 15 minutes away, tops.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Kind of off-topic, but why has Canterbury never tried to increase the maximum limits it can spread since they were allowed 30-60 (I think 15-30 was max at first). If they were allowed to spread whatever they want, they could probably spread a tournament series with higher buy-in events since people would come from all over. I've never been there, just wondering what their logic is (don't want to burn out their regulars)?

Also, are the table games allowed higher maximum bets?

Jeff
Old 09-15-2007, 01:56 PM

max bet $60 in MN poker games
Old 09-15-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of off-topic, but why has Canterbury never tried to increase the maximum limits it can spread since they were allowed 30-60 (I think 15-30 was max at first). If they were allowed to spread whatever they want, they could probably spread a tournament series with higher buy-in events since people would come from all over. I've never been there, just wondering what their logic is (don't want to burn out their regulars)?

Also, are the table games allowed higher maximum bets?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Canterbury's political capital appears to have been focused on getting slot machines. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

OP, there is a cluster of three hotels very close to Canterbury: an AmericInn, a Sandalwoods Studios & Suites (both on 12th avenue in Shakopee, MN) and the Canterbury Inn (on Canterbury Road itself.) There are some more hotels in Shakopee itself, but both Bloomington (near the Mall of America) and Burnsville are within reasonable driving distance (say 15-20 minutes) if you don't like the nearby options.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Iowa needs to expand their tourney offerings...........great place to play.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:20 PM

I live locally, but I ended up staying a weekend at the residence inn Eden Prairie during le divorce. Kind of like studio apartment with a full kitchen. Bed plus a living room set-up. Might be nice if you want to have some non-restaurant food, place to chill. Probably a good rate for a week's stay (got it for $35 thru priceline). No indoor pool though.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 PM

The powers-that-be at Canterbury don't want no-limit cash games, and they don't want limits higher than $30/60, because they don't want people to go broke. They can't make money off of broke people.

Table games have a maximum bet of $300 (with $2 in juice). I think that the law is worded such that you can only bet $300 on the turn of a card. Of course, the cap is lifted heads-up....
Old 09-16-2007, 09:21 AM

I stayed at the AmericInn Shakopee it was only four minutes away from the poker room.