Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: RB2?
Henry vs Houston 8 88.89%
Washington vs CLE 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Did He Touch Home?

doubt holliday even knows if he touched it.

replays, imo, show he didnt toucht the plate. i could give a [censored] about either team and didnt watch any of the game.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:55 AM

On the replays it looked like Barrets leg moved after Holliday's hand hit it. If that happened then it seems likely that his hand did brush the plate as he slid by. No replay angles could show this however.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Judging by Holliday's post game answer, I'd say he missed the plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? Bitter Pads fans need to get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You going to pay Varlos? Stop dodging the question.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sykes used to post frequently.Now he posts like once a month and is always wrong and always a douchebag about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me how i'm wrong? by comparing it to buckner?

obviously the magnification isn't going to be as large and it's not obviously the same, but in the general sense it is since padres fans are going to be like, blown call cost us the game.

Also, dear pudge, I'm wrong about most things? Who had USF in top 10 before this week's rating? Oh yea I did.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 AM

Isn't this a moot point?

I don't know the differences (and there are huge differences) between MLB and high school baseball, but blocking the plate without the ball is not allowed and he'd be awarded home either way. That isn't how the umpire called it (he signaled safe), but it warrants mentioning.

Again, I would NOT be surprised if the rule is completely different in the majors.

I also want to add I haven't seen the play yet. I have only read about it. I keep pissing at the wrong time during SC.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 AM

Okay, I found the MLB rule;

[ QUOTE ]
Rule 7.06(b) Comment: Under 7.06(b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.
NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He definitely was fielding the ball.

Also,

[ QUOTE ]

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: If an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if he was in the act of fielding the ball, it isn't obstruction.

I need to find a video of the play.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 AM

Okay, found a video. Barrett didn't commit obstruction. It was close though.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me try:

[ QUOTE ]

obviously the magnification isn't going to be as large and it's not obviously the same, but in the general sense it is since padres fans are going to be like, blown call cost us the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

craig
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me try:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

k, so i blew one thing way out of proportion, how does that make anything else i said wrong?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:41 AM

one is an infamous bad play which cost the 'cursed' bosox a monster playoff game, one is a perhaps blown close call by an umpire which may have decided a one game playoff for the wildcard between the ROCKIES AND THE PADRES.

They are similar in the general sense that they both happened in baseball games and people will bitch about them... They are not similar in any interesting sense you retard.