Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Commerce Mid-Limit

After reading posts here about the 9/18 through 20/40 limit games at Commerce, I’m probably going to plan at least a weekend trip there, and maybe a vacation to try them out. I’m interested in more information on a couple of points, though.

Is applying SSHE principles by-the-book the best approach for these games? I would assume it would be if they are loose, but it seems like I’ve seen some conflicting opinions posted here about whether to vary from SSHE strategies in these games.

I’ve also seen differing accounts about how loose the games are. From some comments, it sounds like there is a lot of pre-flop raising and cold-calling, with raised multi-way pots being common. Other comments suggest that three players to the flop and chopped blinds are common. Is it just that it varies with the limit, or with the time of day or day of the week? Or is one type of game the norm?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Commerce Mid-Limit

hmmm, correct me if im wrong but your post seems to imply to me that you just read SSHE and have never played any games live before(3/6,4/8). And now after reading the book you want to jump str8 into the commerce 9/18 and 20/40 games.

anyways, the answer is you have to adjust. the mid limits at commerce and LA are just a different monster. loosen up at a loose table and tighten up at a tight table. and if you're at a tight table, get a table change immediately.

these are sick sick games. 9 way capped preflop pots are not uncommon. also alot of sick postflop donkey raising.

you need to be heavily bankrolled for these games. the variance of these games are just sick sick sick. you can be up $600 and the next minute you're down $600. $1000 swings in these games are standard.

honestly, it really doesnt sound like you're ready to jump into these games. just go and play the 4/8, just as juicy but obviously smaller stakes and smaller swings
Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 AM

I played a ton of the Commerce 20 game in the recent past and when people tell you that it is the craziest game in the world they are lying. It IS a great game but 9 way cappped pots never happen and I always found that many people are WAY too passive tp raise and that donkey raising is far outnumbered by donkey calling.

SSHE will do you just fine. The swings can be brutal though, that is true.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 AM

Get used to playing against 2+2ers.