Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Developing a practice regime

I want to develop a 5 to 6 day a week practice regime to work on my whole game. Assume unlimited funds, and being able to devote 2 hours a day to practice. Where should I begin? should I hire a pro to design it for me? I plan on mixing in lessons towards fall, when I have an actual work schedule, but I want to get a jump start. I shoot about a 90, my irons and woods are solid, my short game is horrific, and my driver is bad.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Developing a practice regime

The fact that you didn't mention your putting when talking about your game leads me to believe that you don't spend much time there. Yes/no?

I'd say spend ~70% working on your short game. Some find it boring, but I personally enjoy it more than banging balls at the range.
I'll do stuff like hit the same 20 yard chip shot over and over again for an hour...hit the chip, go try to make the putt, repeat. Then do the same with a different short game shot...Boring? Perhaps...but it's crazy good for your muscle memory.

When you say, "design it for you." what are you looking for? Specific drills to take up the entire two hours?
Just do what I said above...there are infinite types of short game shots to practice, you don't need a pro to tell you to hit greenside bunker shots for an hour straight. You'd be wasting your unlimited funds (if that's possible,lol)
Old 07-06-2007, 04:10 PM

It should start and end with short game practice.
What type of facilities do you have available?
If there is a place that you can hit chips on a green that rolls at a course-like pace, then make the most of this.
Develop games or personal best contests.
Ideally find person to practice with, and hit chips, pitches, bunker shots, and lag putts for a quarter a shot.

Lag putts- it's all about speed. Putt 9 different putts from at least 30 ft. and get them within 1 putter length from the hole. Keep a personal best record.

Chips- take a 7 iron, and chip until you make one. Then do the same with an 8 iron, 9 iron, SW, LW.

Bunker shots- hit bunker shots until you hole one.
(or until you get 2 out of 3 within 3ft., or whatever goal you set)

Setting these mini-goals, and stopping immediately when you reach them (and move on to another mini-goal) is a great confidence builder.

Short putts- 4 balls in a circle 2 feet around the hole. Make them all in a row, repeat at 3 feet, etc.
If you miss any, start over.
Your goal the first day might be 8 consecutive putts, or 10. Then increase it by 1 putt each practice session.

Warning: some of these can be time consuming. Don't set a goal that you cannot reach before you MUST leave. It is counter-productive.

Time spent doing these sorts of things will shave more shots off your scores than personal instruction from Tiger! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The key is to make it fun and competitive.

Best of luck.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:12 PM

I threw in putting with my "shortgame". Im not bad at putting, but Im def not good. I actually like to putt so I probably spend more time with it than I do pitching and chipping. Im looking for specific drills if you guys think it is worthwhile, if not, I have no problem doing what you said and chip a bunch of balls at a target working on that aspect. Id like to spread things out over the week though

mon- chipping and pitching

tues- putting

wed- c&P

thurs- irons

friday- woods driver

saturday- a round

or something similar. whenever I do any sports or weightlifting, I like to have very specific goals, and have my whole hour or two written down on paper, so I dont waste time or resources, hence my questions.

PS- my facilities arent great, a driving range, and a little putting green with little room to really chip, also a 9 hole par 3 course with no hole over 180ish next door to teh range.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Before you get lessons, if you are going to practice 2 hours per day 6 days a week. Easy, spend(of the 12 hours per week you are there) 8 of those hours on short game, mostly putting, but make sure you chip a lot and pitch a lot(including bunker shots). You will probably lose 10 strokes faster than you think.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I threw in putting with my "shortgame". Im not bad at putting, but Im def not good. I actually like to putt so I probably spend more time with it than I do pitching and chipping. Im looking for specific drills if you guys think it is worthwhile, if not, I have no problem doing what you said and chip a bunch of balls at a target working on that aspect. Id like to spread things out over the week though

tues- putting

wed- c&P

thurs- irons

friday- woods driver

saturday- a round

or something similar. whenever I do any sports or weightlifting, I like to have very specific goals, and have my whole hour or two written down on paper, so I dont waste time or resources, hence my questions.

PS- my facilities arent great, a driving range, and a little putting green with little room to really chip, also a 9 hole par 3 course with no hole over 180ish next door to teh range.

[/ QUOTE ]

A plan is good but I would hit some balls everyday. Say 30 min everyday on the range 1 1/2 hours for short game maybe one day a week switch it up and do 1 1/2 hours on the range and 30 minutes on the short game. I would also throw another round in there or at least 9 holes mid week just to break up the routine a little. Everyone in this thread is pretty spot on the short game is where to spend your time but hitting some balls every day will help. Also if your going to practice this much beware of range rage it will do your game no good.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 AM

I would get the lessons first to get a framework for the fundamentals. Practicing with poor fundamentals will make you worse not better. Grip, alignment, posture and tempo are hard to learn without another set of eyes.
With a fundamental base I would dedicate the majority of my time to the short game.
Something like 30% putting, 25% chipping, 15% wedges, 15% driving and 15% remaining irons.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

tues- putting

wed- c&P

thurs- irons

friday- woods driver

saturday- a round

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than doing one different thing each day I would try to incorporate a bit of everything into each session. Of course you can change the emphasis of each day as needed.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM

I would rather see you hit some balls everyday. You don't have to hit a lot but just enough to stay loose. Like the others have said, the shortgame should consume the majority of your practice time.