Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:43 PM

Default So I\'ve lost 35 lbs. What now?

Last winter I realized I was fat. I was 6'0" and 200 lbs then. I resolved to lose weight and set a target of 165 lbs. I now weigh 165.

I feel and look a hell of a lot better. However, I have since realized

(1) While I am thinner, I am still out of shape.
(2) I don't have much muscle.
(2) Even at 165, my original target weight, I'm _still_ pudgy around the middle.
(4) I'm eating less, but not eating all that much healthier.

I lost the weight mainly through counting calories and eating ~500 fewer calories/day than my caloric need. It worked. Recently, though, I've hit a wall. I'm tired of dieting -- I have being doing it so long! -- so it's hard to stick to it. And I want to get in shape.

So I'm looking for advice. What now? I want to drop some fat. I want to build muscle.

What sort of diet/exercise/weight training regimine should I look into? Should I join a gym? Should I get a trainer? Can I do it at home with a bowflex? How do I stay motivated?

Advice?

(I might post some before/after pics later if anyone is interested.)
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: So I\'ve lost 35 lbs. What now?

i was the same way...lost weight, realized that i had no lean mass...so now im trying to gain muscle...

read the faq and find a workout, read the 7 habits article to learn about nutrition...start...
Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 PM

Read the FAQ, in particular Berardi's Nutrition, stuff about losing fat, and lifting. Get started on either the 5x5 or Starting Strength, start eating clean (healthier), and start doing some cardio.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about losing that fat right now (depending on how fat you actually are still of course). I would get started lifting and eating a lot (healthy though) and try to pack on some muscle. This will give you a break from the diet, boost your metabolism, help you lose the fat, and add some lean mass to your body so you'll look better too.

But seriously, read the FAQ and the links in there and post other questions you have in here, those links will answer probably 90-95% of your questions.

And congratulations on your weight loss, if you have the dedication to lose 35lbs through diet alone you have the dedication to do this.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Well dammit I already bought a Bowflex a few weeks ago -- it was on sale -- and then I read this thread:

Bowflex Revolution

If I already own the thing, should I still get a power rack? The lifting routines linked from the FAQ sound like they are for freeweights.

I am a complete novice at this stuff. I would prefer to exercise at home. It's not a lazy thing. I am just more comfortable there, and I want to make it as easy/convenient as possible so I have no excuses.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Sam,

I don't like going to the gym either. I just bought a barbell and 300 lbs of weights for like $120, then a bench press bench (make sure the uprights that support the bar are wide enough to get a good grip) and some sawhorses. I use the sawhorses to squat, and also to bench press now because the bench I bought is a piece of crap.

The total damage was like $220, which isn't that bad. If you're mechanically inclined you could weld yourself a squat rack, I might do that if I have some free time and extra cash towards the end of the summer.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 PM

I got a really nice, heavy duty rack, bench, Olympic bar, and 300 lb. of weights at Sam's for <$300 awhile back. I've also seen lots of good deals at garage sales, Craigslist, fitness equipment store closeouts, etc. There are lots of deals out there, look around.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 PM

You can always run. The first year I ran, I eat 5000 calories a day and lost 15 pounds. Now I eat about 3500 calories a day to maintain my weight.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The total damage was like $220, which isn't that bad. If you're mechanically inclined you could weld yourself a squat rack, I might do that if I have some free time and extra cash towards the end of the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, how would a person who is cash strapped have access to heavy duty metal and welding equipment?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 PM

I'm sorta in a similar spot, however I run 4x a week, 5 miles a day and lost 30 lbs. From 215 to 185 at 6'1. Most of my weight is in my stomach from drinking and going out to eat alot.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, how would a person who is cash strapped have access to heavy duty metal and welding equipment?

[/ QUOTE ]

scrap metal isn't expensive and friends