Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Question for those with $1K+ bankrolls

Depost $200/$500 play NL10/NL25 full ring. If you are halfway decent you should never look back.

I had my first roll busted, but never had to deposit more than $100 one time. From there built up a good amout in bonuses. Around the neteller ordel I only had a little more than $500 to play $25nl with. I should hit NL$400 soon (knocks on wood).
Old 08-12-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Freerolls --> microstakes SNGs --> Fixed limit and bonus whoring --> No Limit

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded part has no justification. Some people who like me did it back in the days when all the books were about limit think that everyone else should do the same, but that's pointless.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you start from scratch (freerolls) or make a small deposit ($100 or $200) and build from there, or did you deposit a few K right away?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty rigid about keeping poker money and non-poker money separate, so I started out with a free $10 from 7 Sultans Poker, then won another $23 from one of the Prima freerolls. I gradually worked that up, but it ultimately didn't matter because I signed up as an affiliate at several poker sites and stuck affiliate links on a small web site I run. Even though I got very little traffic, I eventually made thousands from the affiliate links.

So once I had a few hundred from my first affiliate payment, I started hitting up PSO and various deposit bonuses.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Freerolls --> microstakes SNGs --> Fixed limit and bonus whoring --> No Limit

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded part has no justification. Some people who like me did it back in the days when all the books were about limit think that everyone else should do the same, but that's pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP'er just asked what we did to get 4-figure rolls.

Some of us are just answering that we played limit first. I don't see many people arguing that it's a prerequisite.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:38 PM

There really are no prerequisites as far as types of games.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you start from scratch (freerolls) or make a small deposit ($100 or $200) and build from there, or did you deposit a few K right away?

Lately I've been trying to build a BR from scratch on FTP and I'm sitting at around $100 right now, but grinding the $1 SnG's has become hell for me, and I'm wondering if it'd be easier just to deposit money and play at higher SnG's and ring games such as NL50 and NL100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am doing this very carefully and systematically. I started with almost nothing, and am working up to growing this into a decent part-time job.

After doing play money on three sites, I started doing real money on PokerStars at the lowest microlimits (some cash, mostly SNG.) I lost two $50 bankrolls, which was real money to me.

The third time I started grinding with $30 and ran it up to $170, when I switched from 1/2 cent NL to 2/5, and from $1 to $5 SNG.

It's just getting to the point where it's starting to turn into something close to real money. I started out trying to grind out $5 in a day. Contrast that with now, when my last two DAYS have profited $42.97 and $19.70.

It's been a lot of boring grinding, especially multitabling $1 SNG, at 1 point each, to get my 500 points for my deposit bonus. But now I know how to multitable, I'm moving up in limits, quickly building a bankroll, and the hours and hours of reading, studying, and grinding have been worth it. If it was easy money, everyone would be doing it.

Oh, one more thing. When you start making real money, you'll have to pay real taxes. A simple way to handle it is to increase the withholding on your regular job so you're covered when you file your taxes.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 PM

OK, fair enough. When NLHE cash games became popular around 2004, but the literature hadn't caught up, a lot of people would argue that there were great benefits to the aspiring NL player to learn limit first. I understood some on this thread to be saying the same.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 AM

FWIW, there's a lot to be said for grinding out small games and building slowly. You'll be a much better player by the time you get to the bigger games, and will consequently win a lot more.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:30 AM

I deposited 10€ in a site just to have a bit of fun luckboxed my way up a bit, then started to learn the game. forced myself to play NL10 for about 6 months, so i was really confortable with the basics of the game. I got lucky in the beggining when i was clueless, and then just started reading some books, playing ABC very solid poker, and started crushing NL10.
Everytime i got to 500 i would withdraw to leave myself 200. when i decided to move up to NL25 i crushed the game too and got to 1k quickly.

Never played SNG in the process, i found NL10 (the minimum they had where i deposited) to be extremely beatable even when i didn't play all that well.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 AM

I put a few K on an E-wallet. Then a small deposit on PokerStars and I started playing $0.02-$0.04 Limit hold'em. I glass of whisky when I reached $10.
Then I moved in limits, gradually, on Stars, until I could bonus hunting on differents sites.