Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Table image and cards

This is one of my questions I have for live play. I have played in about 15 or 16 live sessions, and in my last one I only brought 100 bucks with me so I sat down to 2/4.

We only had 7 or 8 players. This one older guy (who would not shut the hell up) kept hitting card after card. He'd bet a 4 flush and hit it pot after pot. I on the other hand was very card dead. After almost 30 hands, the highest I had was a pair of 4s!

He took notice of my bad run and decided to make me the donk. I simply responded with a look saying, don't worry when I get a hand your money is mine. Sure enough I took him down for a big pot with a set of 10s. I did lose about half my buy-in, because I air-balled about 95% of the flops I saw.

My question is...how do you get away from a bad table image when your card dead and everyone knows it?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Table image and cards

Showing down a nice hand like you did and conservative play are the best ways imo.

As quickly as the deck cools off it can heat up again and then with your "donk" image you can really take down some nice pots with solid holdings.

Patience is key and your hands will come. After you show down a couple your raises will get more respect and you can get right back into your game.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Table image and cards

30 hands is not card dead. Depending where you play that should be about 45 minutes to an hour of play. I usually play 3 to 5 hour live sessions and have gone a few days without catching a set of anything.

All you can do is stay with your game plan. Pick good cards and good situations to play your hands.
Have patience to find the profitable situations and when you get them play hard.

Also I don't know your bankroll situation, but I never sit in a limit holdem game without 50 big bets. I may not buy in for that amount, but knowing I have it available helps prevent me from playing scared.

Hope that helps you some. Now I'll read the other replies.