Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:37 PM

Default How do you prepare for a session?

Is there any kind of routine that you do to get yourself in the right mindset? Any activites you do before a session that you feel helps you play better? Get your mind more focused on winning poker?

I feel like when I start my sessions with a confident, winning attitude, those prove to be the most profitable. I guess this should be obvious. However there are times I just decide to sit down and play, maybe because I feel I need to put in the hours or because Im bored, and that is when I play the worst. I really think that if I was able to get into some kind of mandatory pre-sesh routine, it could get more focused and ready to play. So, Im curious if any of you guys have regular routines before you play? Any other advice that could prevent me from going into a session not mentally prepared?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: How do you prepare for a session?

I try to do things that need to get done, so they won't bother me. I have OCD though. For example, I will return calls, etc. that could be done the next day, because it will bug me if I don't. Same with errands, if I can do them and get them out of the way, I feel better. I also eat before I play, because it sucks when you are running good and get hungry.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:11 PM

One thing that I do before sitting down is study the tables I might play just to get an idea of how loose or tight the game will be. I also try to see if I recognize anyone. If there is a(re) fish (or sharks) that I know from playing with them before I make a mental note and then study the players I don't know to get an idea of how they might play.

This was something that I didn't do very well the last time I played and it cost me. I ended up at a table with 3 TAGs and 2 LAGs. This was not a good game for me.

I find that I can play more confidently when I basically how the table is going to play. When new players show up I can watch them for a while without worrying about having to read the whole table while I'm sitting there. I normally take about 15 min per table. I play at small card rooms where there are 2-3 tables playing at one time.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM

I made a few post about this and had some good and bad responses.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...ue#Post11047003

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1
Old 07-21-2007, 11:56 PM

what is it like to have OCD?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:26 PM

It's no big deal. 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like when I start my sessions with a confident, winning attitude, those prove to be the most profitable. I guess this should be obvious. However there are times I just decide to sit down and play, maybe because I feel I need to put in the hours or because Im bored, and that is when I play the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found the results to be quite the same. I think that is one of the keys the playing well is really a positive attitude. I've sat down sometimes in a funky mood, such as the time I sat in hours of traffic on the Garden State Parkway going to AC. I sat down and played every hand horribly. I even looked worn. I find starting a session when your in a good mood and focused, you will do well.

Where rest and a positive attitude will help is in your table image. If you look bright and not cheery but confident, you will probably have a good table image and could induce more folding to aggresive raise, etc.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuff bothers me if it isn't done, and I sometimes can't get my mind off of it. Also, I don't do the repetitive number thing (although a lot of people do) but I check things again and again (doors locked, etc.). Its no fun, but its far from the worst thing that can happen to someone so I can really complain.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ITS LIKE THIS
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/1196/
Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuff bothers me if it isn't done, and I sometimes can't get my mind off of it. Also, I don't do the repetitive number thing (although a lot of people do) but I check things again and again (doors locked, etc.). Its no fun, but its far from the worst thing that can happen to someone so I can really complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you do stuff like;

- If you close a door, you kind of push and push on it (hard to explain)
- When you stack chips you must have them extremely neat or it bothers you
- Stuff like seatbelts in the car must be straight and not tangled when nobody sits there

This is stuff that annoys the hell out of me and im debating whether or not i have a mild case of it