Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: help me do my HW (whether min. wage should be raised)

Somebody move this to politics and then move Gunny Highway to another message board.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:16 PM

Default min. wage should not be raised)

increasing a national minumuim wage a few bucks is not the answer. lowering taxes for these people would be a much greater benefit for everyone.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a higher minimum wage would result in larger unemployment.

Minimum wage skewes the labour demand and supply curve and creates a gap which results in unemployment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much every academic study of the minimum wage has shown that this is not true. For example, NY and NJ have both raised the minimum wage and PA has not. Unemployment is not higher in NY and NJ-- in fact, it's slightly lower in the Garden State.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem only comes into play when the minimum wage is set above market wages. If I were to guess, NY and NJ minimum wage is still below "living standards". The price floor has been set below equilibrium, so there is no effect.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but NY and NJ have a far higher cost of living than PA.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody move this to politics and then move Gunny Highway to another message board.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on the first part. And I apologize shifting the discussion that way. But saying someone should post elsewhere because they disagree with your politics is kinda silly.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:23 PM

hell just raise it to 50 let everyone be at a minimum upper middle class
Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on the first part. And I apologize shifting the discussion that way. But saying someone should post elsewhere because they disagree with your politics is kinda silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure he is saying you should post somewhere else because your being an [censored].
Old 03-18-2006, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raised to at least $10. It's hard to live off of less than that, it's nearly impossible with children. With the vast majority of the world's wealth being controlled by the vast minority of the population, there is a lot of room for give before a small raise in minimum wage would have any measured effect on employment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised it took this long to hear from the special ed class. I expect weatherman and the other idiots from the politics forum to jump on this thread any second.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you disputing the fact that the minimum wage in many states (and even more countries) is not enough money for someone to provide for themselves or their families?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - Yes. I dispute this. You can live off minimum wage. You simply will not be able to live off minimum wage in the manner that you would like. If you're working a minimum wage job, then you don't deserve more because you haven't bothered to acquire any real skills and/or are not intelligent or ambitious enough to do so. If you want better for yourself and your family then prove it. Go earn it.

2 - If the only job you can get is a minimum wage job and you've started a family expecting to support them on that then you're an absolute moron.

3 - As a business owner it is not my responsibility to support your family. That is your responsibility. My responsibility is to earn a profit. You work and I pay you for that work. If you don't like what I pay you, then go someplace else. I don't lie to you. I don't cheat you. I pay you what I say I will, and you either decide to work or not. If I want loyalty from you, then I'll probably have to pay you more than the rock bottom wage that you'd be willing to work for. If there are 100 other people lined up to do your job, then I don't care if you're loyal or not.

4 - The minimum wage is immoral. If I own a business I should be able to pay people whatever I want to. If no one is willing to work for that then I'll have to raise my pay scale or go out of business, but to have the government effectively steal money out of my pocket and give it to my employees is immoral and is basically nothing more than theft. It's no different than someone robbing a convenience store because he's hungry. Just because the government has decided it's legal, doesn't change the fact that it's theft and it's immoral.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been plenty of studies that demonstrate that many individuals cannot support themselves on minimum wages. I'm talking about rent, transportation, proper nutrition, etc. They obviously do not factor in money for entertainment.

I agree with your 2nd point. Unfortunately this does not change the fact that it happens.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i need ten reasons each for whether minimum wage should be left alone or whether it should be raised. give me some good reasons why you think it should be raised or left alone. thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, look it up on Wikipedia and do your own [censored] homework you lazy bastard.