Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 PM

Default NL400: AJs, deep OOP

Villain is a 22/19 TAG over 350 datamined hands. I don't think we've played much (if at all) together prior to this session, as I don't recognize the name and have no notes. We tangled once where he opened his sb w A9s, called a pot 3bet, ck called a 9 hi flop, Q turn checked through, and he called a small river bet (I had AQ).

On the flop, he called my c/r pretty damn quick.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $2/$4 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $955.50
BB: $154.90
UTG: $402.80
CO: $1,433.40
BTN: $846.20

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $14.00</font>, Hero calls $12.00, BB folds

Flop: ($32) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $24.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $87.00</font>, BTN calls $63.00

Turn: ($206) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $170.00</font>, Hero calls $170.00

River: ($546) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $500.00</font>, Hero calls $500.00
Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: NL400: AJs, deep OOP

I think you are [censored] on the river pretty often. Besides, I prefer a 3-bet pre.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are [censored] on the river pretty often. Besides, I prefer a 3-bet pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not focus on preflop, please. I'm sure a lot of people prefer a 3-bet. This time, I didn't. Sometimes, I do.

I appreciate the postflop thoughts, though.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 PM

I like a CR on flop as well, b/c that is how I would play set etc as well so it balances my range. By the way, I think pre is pretty important. It isn't a "mhee I call and 3-bet sometimes" if you don't have a particularly good reason for calling it should be a 3-bet.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:38 PM

It looks like he has AQ at least by the river. What is he bluffing w/?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a CR on flop as well, b/c that is how I would play set etc as well so it balances my range. By the way, I think pre is pretty important. It isn't a "mhee I call and 3-bet sometimes" if you don't have a particularly good reason for calling it should be a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like a smooth call preflop better then a 3bet. How's that? So we could debate pre here if you'd like.

Also, I agree, c/r is a nice play on the flop. What do you think of Hero's decision to c/c the turn after he c/r the flop? Does his hand look strong or weak? I think it looks pretty damn weak. Why is villain betting so much on the river? I want to know!

[ QUOTE ]

It looks like he has AQ at least by the river. What is he bluffing w/?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree here, not much he can be bluffing and also his most likely hand is AQ. The big turn bet is troubling, too, I think.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:02 PM

it does look like AQ but what's with button's near PSB on the river?

heros hand is pretty transparent here, villian has to know hero can't have anything that really wants to call that much on the end with.

i'd expect a smaller river bet trying to get value from AcXc but i guess he thought there was a good chance you'd call
Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like a smooth call preflop better then a 3bet. How's that? So we could debate pre here if you'd like.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Rob, we can debate preflop if you like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just didn't want a bunch of responses on preflop and everyone ignoring postflop (which is more interesting).

Preflop, stacks are deep and villain has shown a willingness to call pretty loosely (A9s opn in sb, calling a pot sized BB 3-bet). Do I really want to play a big 3-bet pot out of position 200 BB deep against someone who has shown a willingness to call 3-bets light? There are no hands that I want to back with my whole stack on the flop (outside of a flopped flush). Position is key with these stacks, and I don't think he's going to make it easy on me postflop.

When I said it's a sometimes 3-bet, I'm talking about people who open a wide range and call a very small range. I'm curious as to why you want to default 3-bet here?

The other dynamic that makes me want to call is the short BB, who was fairly loose preflop (~29% VP$IP). I don't mind at all if he comes along for the ride.