Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 PM

Default Re: 2006-2007 Hot Stove Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a nice coup for Shapiro. 23 years, five tools. Kouzmanoff's numbers last year were nuts, but he's two years older with less experience than Barfield.

[/ QUOTE ] I disagree. This was a very even trade. The Padres want to upgrade at 2nd anyway (Giles or shift that Japanese 3b to 2nd). Kouz is likely to better than Barfield for the next year or two if he is healthy, and the Pads need a 3b. Plus, the pitching prospect they got in the deal could become the next great Padres set-up man.

Barfield gets neutered by righties and destroys lefties. Obviously, he could improve on this. But I don't think he's that much better than the inhouse options at 2nd for the Indians; although he has more upside.

OBP is the most important basic stat, and he had a .318 OBP last year. I see Barfield as an average regular. He'll be cheap, and the Indians needed to trade Kouz or Marte.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this sets up Giles for Linebrink, as much as I am completely and totally against that deal. The Pads got Andrew Brown as well(possible replacement for Linebrink). I just don't agree with trading commodities for relief pitchers.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure this sets up Giles for Linebrink, as much as I am completely and totally against that deal. The Pads got Andrew Brown as well(possible replacement for Linebrink). I just don't agree with trading commodities for relief pitchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Braves are going to trade us Marcus Giles for Scott Linebrink? Awesome.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 PM

Linebrink has been one of the top relievers in baseball over the last four years.

But he hasn't been as valuable as Giles over the past four years. It's not close; you have to remember that Giles's defense is worth 100+ (120, according to prospectus) runs over replacement level over the last four years.

Both are coming off their worst year of the last four; both should bounce back a bit. But Giles is two years younger and should bounce back more.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Linebrink has been one of the top relievers in baseball over the last four years.

But he hasn't been as valuable as Giles over the past four years. It's not close; you have to remember that Giles's defense is worth 100+ (120, according to prospectus) runs over replacement level over the last four years.

Both are coming off their worst year of the last four; both should bounce back a bit. But Giles is two years younger and should bounce back more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, the Braves want to dump Giles because he is a drunk. So what? I'll be furious if that's the deal that happens. They wanted Linebrink bad at the deadline, and settled(badly) for Baez. Not real thrilled with the organization at the moment.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:30 PM

Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth were drunks as well.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM

Shouldn't SD be concerned that Giles' batting has declined three straight years?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't SD be concerned that Giles' batting has declined three straight years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I'll trade a 30-year old middle reliever for a decent 28 year old 2B with upside any day of the week.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Perhaps, but every reasonably accurate projection system is going to have Giles bouncing back quite a bit next year, and he was still way more valuable than Linebrink last year (including defense).