Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: NL with a Cap...thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
geez louise, some of you have no idea what a cap game is even though you want to sound like you know what you're talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to get people back on track to what the original poster was asking and wasn't trying to be snarky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, it just came off a little wrong when I read it- my fault for misinterpreting.

[ QUOTE ]
And if a capped game (by my definition) isn't a NL game by your definition, then NO game that we call NL is truly a NL game because they are all limited by the amount of money that a person has on the table.
In a normal NL game, the cap is equal to the smallest stack (in a 2 player hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make the exact same point to some other reply, since table stakes always limit the game to some extent. Of course it would be silly to describe a $5-5000 spread limit game... and of course, the true max limit of any NL or PL game is the second-largest stack on the table, NOT the largest (as you know)

The difference between a "true" no-limit game and a capped game (or capped buy-in game) is the speed at which the game can expand due to increasing stack sizes and larger reloads. Home games should be very, VERY careful how large their games get, if bankrolls are an issue for a majority of players.

I will remember to use the capped terminology only for capped pot sizes (are there different terms for capped rounds vs. capped total pot?) in the future. I will use max buy-in for the "other" capped NL game.