Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Short handed play according to SS2

In the limit shorthanded section it says that if you are the button with 55 against a late position raiser you should reraise. Is this correct against an unknown? I would only reraise against a player who tries to steal alot from the cutoff.

Furthermore, it says that with JTS on the button against a raiser you should reraise. Generally, I fold this, but occassionally I would cold call trying to hit a big hand.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Short handed play according to SS2

[ QUOTE ]
In the limit shorthanded section it says that if you are the button with 55 against a late position raiser you should reraise. Is this correct against an unknown? I would only reraise against a player who tries to steal alot from the cutoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the games you are playing. Against unknowns I would usually muck it.

BTW. You shouldnt decide whether to 3-bet based solely on how much they raise preflop. Its very important whether they are bad or not postflop and the players behind you also matters. 3-bet less with marginal holdings if you have loose players behind you. 3-bet more if villain spews postflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, it says that with JTS on the button against a raiser you should reraise. Generally, I fold this, but occassionally I would cold call trying to hit a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally muck JTs to a raise. I will sometimes 3-bet from the button against a CO raise and I will also 3-bet from the SB against loose CO raises and most button raises.

[ QUOTE ]
but occassionally I would cold call trying to hit a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont cold call first in. DONT! It sucks BIG TIME!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Oink,

I very rarely cold call, but if the blinds are loose and will call to a raise but not a reraise, doesn't j10s play well multhanded? Isn't this an opportunity to win a big pot. I am not saying to do this all of the time...but in certain instances.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 AM

stove it baby [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
if an average TAG (tight preflop) raises from LP I 3-bet 44+ in a heartbeat. If villain is more LAGish I fold 44 and raise 55+ to reduce swings in my result.

JTs
"Dont cold call first in. DONT! It sucks BIG TIME!"
go with oinks advise unless the blinds are super loose spewy & passiv donks and will pay you off BIG time if you hit. in that case just cold call.
to have an equity edge with JTs vs. villain must raise top 40% of his hands from his position.
if villain is CO with vpip= 55% and PFR 45% you might have an equity edge but 3-betting this might also result in big swings.
in some metagame 3-betting JTs and showing it down (without spewing big time) might help against aggressiv villain to prevent from further stabings at you and the blinds.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks Timo....accoring to pokerstove, what is the win% with jts, against 3 players who would play the top 40% of the hands? Not sure if you can run a simulation like this or not.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Cold calling with JTs probably isn't that bad if you know the blinds are coming along. Don't cold call with a small pp. All you do is set up a situation where you can rarely continue on the flop if you didn't hit your set and you don't have enough implied odds to make up for that loose call.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Timo....accoring to pokerstove, what is the win% with jts, against 3 players who would play the top 40% of the hands? Not sure if you can run a simulation like this or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
not quiet sure what you mean.

JTs has 25% against 3 villains how enter the pot with 40% of their hands.
however if CO raises and BU cold calls I would be rather affraid of entering the pot in SB with hands which were tend to have kicker problems like Ax and Kx. But I am more likly to call with conenctors and suited cards like JTo or 76s.

with other words JTs has little showdwon value and equity edge agains one villain (expect he is an super loose maniac). however your hand playes rather will multiway. so if the blinds are loose and/or CO and/or the blinds are showdown monkeys go on and cold call.