Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Default 3 hands live tourney,feel free to critique...

$80 buy-in live tournament

Hand 1 Blinds 25/50
This is the third hand of the tourney,so all stacks at 6k and no reads

UTG+1 raise to 150
Button calls
I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] raise to 800
UTG+1 raise to 2k , button folds,I fold

Hand 2

Blinds 100/200
Button is pretty loose pre,has probably played 1/3 of all hands,BB seems tight,no read on SB. All stacks are around 10k,button covers

I am CO w Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] raise to 600

Button calls,SB calls,BB calls

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets 800, I call ,button calls, SB calls

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Everybody checks

River 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] SB and BB check,I check,button check

Hand 3
Blinds 200/400 this is last hand of this level. Stacks UTG+1 4k,HJ 15k,I have 3k,Button 20k+, SB&BB 5k+

UTG+1 raises to 1100,Hijack calls,I'm CO w
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG+1 is pretty bad,and he has always raised less then 3x when he holds mediocre hands,HJ is solid young kid,button aggro middleaged asian.

As always,feedback appreciated
Old 09-20-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Re: 3 hands live tourney,feel free to critique...

1) this is full ring, right? I like the re-raise. I think the fold is a little tight. I haven't played many live tourneys though. It helps knowing anything about the player. He has to be doing this with only JJ+, AK for you to be less than 50% against his range. If he'd include TT or AQ, you're 52%. But, without knowing the player, I think you've gotta give a lot of credibility to a big 4-bet from UTG+1.

2) Hard to tell what the BB's bet means. I don't dislike the play, but I'm sure others would bet or raise. That's a dangerous board, and there's 3 opponents.

3) You have a good chance of having the best hand here. The hard part is, you can't squeeze, not even really for value. You're getting called in at least one spot, probably two. You're only 35% against two ranges of any pair, most aces, any suited ace, big kings, suited connectors. I'd rather wait for a spot where you can take one person on rather than two. Or, a spot where you have better equity against two, for a parlay. Here, your equity's about the same as what you have to call.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM

Hand 1: With no reads, this looks suspiciously like AA/KK. This early in a live tourney, could be a cold deck. Good fold.

Hand 2: I think you handled a dangerous situation ok. Any raise you might have made could have been reraised to push you off, and in the end, I bet you won this one.

Hand 3: Your M=5, about to be 4. Kid may have read UTG+1 same as you and called. I think there is a reasonable chance you have the best hand at this point. Problem is you are sure to be called by at least one of them, maybe both. If the Button has a monster, he might push all of you.

You didn't say whether this was an FT or not, or what the prize structure was. These are relevant issues here. With such a low M I am tempted to say push it, but the lack of first-in FE makes it more risky. If this is a bubble situation, I let it go. If I'm not that close to the money, or already in, I think I push and hope all but UTG+1 fold.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:11 PM

Hand1 Most live tournaments 3 bets are extremely tight ranges. 4 bets? ungodly tight. Against complete unknowns at a live table third hand I think this can be a muck. Against some players this is a push, and its not very close. If they are wearing internet gear, I might push.

Hand 2: I think I raise the flop, I sure dont want to see a raise behind me. I would like to rep a strong ace, possibly aces up, I did raise preflop, I might take it down here, and I surely then will get to see both cards if only the donk bet calls.

Hand 3: Depends. Push or fold. Id push here if i felt I had decent fold equity and I needed chips to make a run into the money. If were coming close to the money and whatnot I think this is an ok push. I usually probably fold here, but its a tough spot. I really think its thin either way, if its a table I can open push at and get fold equity next level, I think I pass and wait to open push. If its a table that respects the raise pre, I might push here and hope for folds or a coinflip with overlay vs hijack. I think its reasonable that hijack has a hand like AQ/AK and will be forced to call even if the rest fold, that can be a real disaster here.

Id say theres enough in the pot to push, and take the risk. Heck we might go three ways with underpairs!

Hand 0: 37.482% 37.39% 00.09% 2758595 6791.33 { AJo }
Hand 1: 17.738% 17.65% 00.09% 1301957 6791.33 { 66 }
Hand 2: 44.780% 44.69% 00.09% 3297258 6792.33 { 88 }

If UTG is autocalling with any two, I think this is pretty bad, AJo just isnt strong enough, cause we know hijack will go along for the ride. Even if we give them somewhat broad ranges like 15% and 12% its not looking good.

Hand 0: 29.274% 25.08% 04.19% 1163156 194403.00 { AJo }
Hand 1: 34.006% 31.40% 02.61% 1455867 121191.17 { 77+, A7s+, K9s+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QJo }
Hand 2: 36.720% 33.41% 03.32% 1549121 153890.00 { 77+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KJo+ }

600 dead money, 3k*3 = 9600*.30= Negative EV.

Just as a gut check AJo is a good hand to open raise from late position, or open push with a moderately short, and a good hand to call a very shortie push with, and other than that, It can go in the muck.

4Card