Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 PM

Default small pot, snapping off a bluff (10-20 bellagio)

I don't have a stellar read on button. I guess he's on the tighter side of the loose-tight scale but he's definitely willing to mix it up a little. He doesn't seem to like to get bluffed. I also don't think he would check behind this flop with an A. My imge is probably tricky Aggro. I've been picking up a lot of small pots. Effective stacks 4k

I limp in MP with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](no comments on this please), button limps, both blinds limp

Flop ($80) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Everybody checks

Turn ($80) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, i bet $60, button instaraises to $160 and i decide to call

River ($400) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Check, button qucikly bets $200, i can't figure out what he could have so i call.

Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Re: small pot, snapping off a bluff (10-20 bellagio)

hm. does a player like him valuebet JTs or similar on that river? i feel like they would check the river behind since their hand has showdown value but couldn't stand a checkraise; i think you're beat here since you played your hand most like a flush draw that missed. he knows you won't call that river unless you have a piece of it, and his bet size seems more for value than anything.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 PM

not 'commenting' on preflop, but may i ask you about it?

what were the game considerations that led you to open limp as opposed to opening?

also, i can think of lots of hands button can have to play this way.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hm. does a player like him valuebet JTs or similar on that river? i feel like they would check the river behind since their hand has showdown value but couldn't stand a checkraise; i think you're beat here since you played your hand most like a flush draw that missed. he knows you won't call that river unless you have a piece of it, and his bet size seems more for value than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the hand i thought there was a very good chance he had a T but when he bet the river i was skeptical. I guess he didn't strike me as the type of person to value bet a T here but i was by no means certain.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 PM

I hate when people ask for part of the action to be ignored because they know they should't have open-limped on the button or over-called from the BB or whatever. Best to address that problem then you wouldn't get into these situations.

Anyway, calling here depends on the button's ability to make thin value bets. If he's tricky he might be raising with a flush draw on the turn or something I guess or some sick 2 pair. I guess calling is ok here.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what were the game considerations that led you to open limp as opposed to opening?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably shouldn't have been playing the hand but I was bored....Open limping is cheaper than open raising. I play a lot of hands and probably limp more often than most. It's just my style.

[ QUOTE ]
also, i can think of lots of hands button can have to play this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what? I guess you're advising a river fold?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 PM

what do you guys think of button's like with Ax suited? I guess just check river is probably better?

I'm usually folding here as hero
Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when people ask for part of the action to be ignored because they know they should't have open-limped on the button or over-called from the BB or whatever. Best to address that problem then you wouldn't get into these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it even more when my request is ignored. I think i play well post flop and limping here can't be -EV by much. And it's definitely good for metagame
Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 PM

aces up is the most likely suspect. followed by A9/AJ.

getting 3-1 and opponent getting potentially wonky and the fact most people are not betting KT here for value makes it kind of close, but i think you are shown the winner too often here.

but since it is kinda close if you feel like throwing away 30-40 bucks of EV to potentially tilt someone or feel awesome, go for it.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 PM

I think this is most likely a missed diamonds as well.

I GUESS it could be AT, but given desc (i.e aggie not thinking he would check an A behind), and the size of the river bet, that doesn't make sense to me either. It could be some limped TT, but then again riverbet does not make sense to me anyway. If he's limping trash like T6 then that's possible as well I guess.

I would probably also call this, this really should be missed diamonds as well kinda.

A checkraise looks kinda tempting, but I'd have to be fairly sure this isn't his "standard" valuebet with a really good hand like AT in that case.