Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: To Theists: An Interesting Agreement ...

dude what is the point of your posts?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude what is the point of your posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And also Splendour, in what way was the OP supposed to be interesting???
Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 AM

How are these folks in agreement? Napoleon was a warrior who wanted to figure out the best way to motivate his men to his cause to the point where they would die for him in combat. Presumably, he was musing that Jesus could pull this off.

The other fellow, sounds like a philosopher who is musing over Buddhist ideals, and somehow attributing them to Jesus.

How is it that these two men agree with each other?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 AM

Mr. Greenleaf had this to say about the book of Matthew:

He is generally allowed to have written first, of all the evangelists; but whether in the Hebrew or the Greek language, or in both, the learned are not agreed, nor is it material to our purpose to inquire; the genuineness of our present Greek gospel being sustained by satisfactory evidence. The precise time when he wrote is also uncertain, the several dates given to it among learned men, varying from A.D. 37 to A.D. 64. The earlier date, however, is argued with greater force, from the improbability that the Christians would be left for several years without a general and authentic history of our Savior's ministry; from the evident allusions which it contains to a state of persecution in the church at the time it was written; from the titles of sanctity ascribed to Jerusalem, and a higher veneration testified for the temple than the comparative gentleness with which Herod's character and conduct are dealt with, that bad prince probably being still in power; and from the frequent mention of Pilate, as still governor of Judea.

You really need to be a biblical scholar and or/some type of expert on ancient documents to be able to discuss the timeframe of ancient texts ...that's why I mention the Case for Christ...a discussion of these texts is included there...

Go to biblical scholars and or biblical historians if you want to get the source and context of the bible right...the history of ancient times and the understanding of ancient languages is critical to an understanding of the bible...

When it comes to the things of God you need to study with the experts that have the skill set necessary to discuss him...Not to mention the people handling God's things need to have the proper attitude towards him so they exhibit the care necessary to preserve any information pertaining to him...Internet forums seem to lack this care and deference...they chop up works like The Case for Christ feed it to you in piecemeal bites and you don't get to see the sweep and interconnections of the whole work...There are a lot of footnotes and other sources cited as references in that work...the internet just couldn't do justice to it...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Go to biblical scholars and or biblical historians if you want to get the source and context of the bible right...the history of ancient times and the understanding of ancient languages is critical to an understanding of the bible...

[/ QUOTE ]

The majority of articles I have seen linked on this forum of this type has been abysmal. And no you don't need to be an 'expert' on ancient languages to understand the bible right, you just need to know basic text understanding when it comes to translated texts. The articles I have seen yet so far are incredibly poor, usually the 'researches' just dabble in the odd translation of direct words - grammar/context/comparisons are never mentioned, references are rarely made, and interpretations of the translated text and the non-translated texts are used in unison to get the obviously wanted result - and the conclusions drawn are always completely bombastic.

There is absolutely no need to be an 'expert' to understand that this is wrong - I'll give an example of what a biblical 'scholar' can do (german literates excuse me because I am about to butcher the language):

This is a piece of text by rock band rammstein - direct translation beneath, the imaginery theist translator is shortened TS from now on:

Du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt.
You have me asked, and I have nothing said.

TS: hast can also mean hate, so we get:
You hate me asked, and I have nothing said

TS: You is here most likely plural form (note how we jump to the english translation to make our point, a classic 'scholar' trick in bible interpretation).

All you of hate me asked, and I have nothing said.

TS: It is obvious what this means, it is supposed to read:
All of you hate me asking, so I say nothing.

Makes sense doesn't it? Probably even does to someone who is not literate in german. The fact of the manner is that context, grammar and words used make only one translation good and that is:

You (singular form) ask me, and I say nothing.

The point is that if you don't do it properly, but just sit with some word-for-word translation plus you use the translated text freely, you can get almost anything to make sense.

If someone doublechecked our rammstein translation most of it would make sense and look alright for someone who forgets to check the grammar and context. Frauds and lies, that is what it is.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never said Napoleon was a nice guy but many do believe he was a genius...And he did do at least one good thing in letting the Jews out of the ghettoes...

Also the quote I cited originally was from his St. Helena period...maybe losing everything changed his outlook...

[/ QUOTE ]

For my friend tame_deuces, a special dedication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXn8xciKos

Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have to disagree with you JustinA...if you think 12 guys left family, friends, professions to live and travel night and day for 2 to 3 years with Jesus then left the Gospel accounts to someone else then that is just not logical or even probable...Not to mention dying in his name...

[/ QUOTE ]
If it were illogical you should be able to demonstrate to us why and how that is so. But you can't, why is that? It's because you are the one putting forward something devoid of logic. Assuming you care about the truth at all this should trouble you greatly.