Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Destroyed by a donk

WCOOP $2500+100 Main Event.

Outside the money; about 600 remain, 414 cash. I have 80k, average is around 110k. Blinds 1500/3000 with the ante. Folds to me in MP2 and I make it 7800 with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], folds to the really bad and donktacular BB who calls with his large 200k stack. He definitely seems like a satellite qualifer.

I have a nitty/tight image. I've been really card dead and there have been a lot of spots where I haven't been able to get involved. I've opened up a little bit more lately but if people are paying attention they know I haven't been out of line.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

he leads for 5k, I call (???) I hate raising and then folding to a shove. I honestly don't know wtf this bet is be it a set, an ace, a 9, a 8,a straight draw, a small pocket pair, king high,queen high.

turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

he leads for a massive bet of 7500 (sarcasm) into the now 30k pot and I fold.

Thoughts on how I played this?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Destroyed by a donk

I just fold the flop, your reverse implied odds suck in this spot, even w/ position ur not getting to showdown cheap if you're behind here and you aren't getting anything out of a better hand unless you hit a 2 outter.

The fact that you fold the turn here getting 4:1 shows that the planless flop call sucks. Also, he's not just randomly deciding the donk bluff an ace high flop like ever.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM

You could raise either the flop or the turn and make him fold his weak ace. But that's dangerous because he has a much bigger stack, and will still call your raise.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:47 PM

kneeco,

reverse implied odds? huh?

i would probably fold the flop most of the time because these guys are just giant clowns and arent folding, and you dont have odds to draw to 2 outs. if i didnt fold, i think id usually minraise to buy a cheap river card (and fold to a 3bet obv).
Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Seems like standard practice to call a raise from a tight fairly short stack near the bubble and try to take it away from him.

I sometimes like to raise a donk bet on an ace high flop, as it is often 2nd pair or a bluff. This is a tricky situation though, and it is harder to bluff when you have a hand with showdown value as here.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM

I raise the flop and the go into c/f mode. either he has something really weak and is testing the waters and will let it go, or he has a monster and is trying to milk you.

I probably raise the flop to 12,000 and then check it down and hope he got goofy with something like K9 or something
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM

I like treating the 5k into 17k as a check and just raising to 17k or something.

Otherwise I guess just fold the flop.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kneeco,

reverse implied odds? huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, did I get that wrong?

i.e. if the 5k call on the flop would have put us all in (ignoring that would have been an obvious pf push) then the call is a lot easier than with money behind because, even with position, the money behind is either going to force us out of getting to showdown or force us to pay more to get there with a marginal at best hand (unless of course we hit the 2 outer which we obv don't have odds to chase).
Old 10-01-2007, 05:12 PM

use your massive timebank and just look at all the hands he has showndown and see how he played them

id probably call here and again on riv because we know he is stupid
Old 10-01-2007, 05:57 PM

why did you only raise pf to 7800? Why not 10-11,000 and make him sweat a bit more? As played, good fold.