Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: AP thread 872.6 - Statement ITT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course these stories aren't mentioned on Cardplayer.com's home page, nor are they mentioned in the News page. CardPlayer is trying to bury this story to protect their advertiser. CardPlayer sucks and should be boycotted until they start refusing AP advertising and start featuring the AP cheating story .

[/ QUOTE ]

While Cardplayer reaches a lot of the poker-playing public, I believe ESPN.com reaches far more of the casual poker-playing demographic who have not yet heard this story. However, ESPN has also, so far, buried this story in their "ESPN Poker Club" section. This may be because of ESPN's business interests involving poker, but with enough pressure, they would probably feature this story on their homepage. And if ESPN still doesn’t bring greater coverage to this story, if enough people report that to ESPN’s ombudsman she may bring this issue up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think there is any conspiracy involving ESPN not putting this on their homepage. In all honesty, it shouldn't be on their homepage. What does this have to do with sports? The world series is about to start, college football, so on

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying that there is a conspiracy, but I am wondering why ESPN does not feature this article on its front page. I agree that poker really isn't a sport, but ESPN has featured numerous poker articles on its home page in the past, and this is arguably the most newsworthy story, up there with the WSOP Main Event's, in poker history.

ESPN definitely does have an interest in the success of poker, both online and not, and this scandal being brought out to the mainstream would definitely hurt online poker's success, at least in the short term. Absolute Poker also advertises on their channels I believe. I was just wondering if it could be business reasons that this story hasn't been posted on the front page yet.

Regardless, it can’t be argued that if ESPN.com posts this story on its homepage it will bring this scandal to a lot of people's eyes for the first time.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm Canadian... poker, pool, bowling and curling are huge here.
BTW beer drinking is also a sport [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
ESPN is running a big story on it very soon.

[/ QUOTE ] You have a date time on that?

Also, posting AP's traffic for the last 3 weeks without FT and Stars for same dates/times is kinda useless.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:28 PM

I played with the owner of bluff magazine last night at the Palms. I mentioned AP but he had very little to say. he was a donkey by the way.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 PM

edit
Old 10-22-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you can drink beer while you are playing it.. it isn't a sport

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to drink beer while playing baseball and softball. Not very well, mind you, but I did it.

edit: I didn't play baseball very well, with or without beer. I'm pretty good at drinking beer.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i have played a variety of sports "pissed" in my time?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to drink beer while playing baseball and softball. Not very well, mind you, but I did it.

edit: I didn't play baseball very well, with or without beer. I'm pretty good at drinking beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can actually "play" the sport while you have a beer in hand, batting and pitching would be almost impossible, fielding would be ok but you couldn't throw the ball in.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again a matter of opinion. Sure someone got careless, and someone savvy enough to realise it asked for a hand history . It was lucky that the entire tournament details were sent, but it may or may not have been a goof. My own feeling is that it was a deliberate disclosure, but again that's just my opinion, and at this juncture a moot point.

[/ QUOTE ]

your opinion is wrong, fyi

[/ QUOTE ]
That part of my opinion very well may be, as I do not have access to the information you do. As to whether a boycott would work, I'm pretty sure that is debatable.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Adanthar is right. There is an ESPN article coming soon -- likely tomorrow. Not sure how much play it will get from their main page, though.

Popcorngate DID occur, which is why AP is not making any statements about it. It is easy for them to disprove, and the fact that they have ignored it speaks volumes.

Don't bother reporting the popcorn issue to the Vegas police. They aren't going to be sending extradition requests to Costa Rica or Panama over this. The perpetrators of this theft are out of reach.
Closed Thread