Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much did you pay?
< $1,000 16 21.62%
$1,000 - $2,000 12 16.22%
$2,000 - $3,000 10 13.51%
$3,000 - $4,000 16 21.62%
$4,000 - $5,000 13 17.57%
$5,000 - $6,000 3 4.05%
$6,000+ 4 5.41%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Leinart or Smith?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Leinart's arm is fine. He doesn't have Michael Vick or Brett Favre's strength, but he can make the throws he needs to."

I'm not sure this is the case, but don't say this with a high degree of confidence. I'm not sure I love him throwing those 15 year sideline outs.

If I could describe most of his USC passing, I think the word "floaty" comes to mind.

(this makes me remember watching Drew Bledsoe and Ryan Leaf throw those sideline outs, jesus christ those guys had cannons)

[/ QUOTE ]

For the life of me I can never understand the fascination with QB arm strength.

Obviously an NFL QB needs to meet a certain threshold, but there are plenty of guys who have gotten the job done just fine without having a cannon.

Most of the good QBs in the league fall in to the category of adequate but not eye popping arm strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, there's a ton of guys who had plenty of arm strength and washed out as NFL quarterbacks because that's all they had.

'Throws a good deep ball' is the most overrated aspect of any QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, Kyle Boller can throw it 60 yards from his knees so you obviously know nothing about football.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:24 AM

Assani -

so you've got Houston, Buffalo, and Oakland to hang your hat on in this discussion. Three franchises who consistently misunderstand positional scarcity and have had no plan for years now.

Leinart will be an excellent NFL QB, and my guess is that he will have more Pro Bowls and be a more effective passer than Smith. It will be interesting to see with Smith does with some real wideouts - and if Arizona can get a running game going, that will be interesting as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:15 AM

A good arm isn't about a good deep ball, it's about throwing the ball on a line from the middle of hte field to the sideline really damn fast so it doesn't float and get picked.

Short passes by quarterbacks with [censored] arms... 3 words.

KEVIN SPACEY GAY!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 AM

Dids, I agree completely and was about to post the same exact thing once I read Triumph's post.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good arm isn't about a good deep ball, it's about throwing the ball on a line from the middle of hte field to the sideline really damn fast so it doesn't float and get picked.

KEVIN SPACEY GAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of that - however, this too is overrated. There have been plenty of successful NFL QBs who've lacked that Michael Vick/Brett Favre sideline 'gun'.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 PM

I'd rather have Chad Henne baby.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Assani is right about there being no way to know for sure that Leinart would have gone #1.

Hypothetical situation: Reggie Bush stays one more year at USC, everyone would be saying he definitely would have been taken #1 by the Texans had he come out.
Am I wrong?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

KEVIN SPACEY GAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of that - however, this too is overrated. There have been plenty of successful NFL QBs who've lacked that Michael Vick/Brett Favre sideline 'gun'.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there have been plenty of successful WRs that don't have Joey Galloway's speed. Does that mean that we should no longer look at slow speed as a negative?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani is right about there being no way to know for sure that Leinart would have gone #1.

Hypothetical situation: Reggie Bush stays one more year at USC, everyone would be saying he definitely would have been taken #1 by the Texans had he come out.
Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course we can't be SURE, but we can say it is more than likely that Leinart would have been a Niner, considering every expert and their dog had Leinart rated higher than Smith. As to the Bush scenario, it's not as if the Texans selected a different RB over Bush. They felt they had more need at DE, so it isn't the same thing.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 PM

It's just funny how Assani's arguments always end up being connected by a mere string of a possibility of whatever he suggests. That shows you it's a damn weak argument.