Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: NL50 - second pair on a paired board.

Before you make the call on the flop you should think about how far you want to go with this hand. After check-raising you, you can probably expect that he'll come out firing something on the turn. More often than not that will happen. So, the question is whether or not you think he has a 10 or pocket sixes. If he doesn't, you want to seal the deal now. If he does, you want to fold obviously.

To really analyze this one we need two more pieces of information: has he check-raised anybody before (and if so what was the result); have you been pushing on the button.

Based on what we know, I would think that he was just playing at you. If he senses you are weak at all, the minimum check-raise would get you to fold. He is fairly certain that you don't have a 10 in your hand. He is probably putting you on overs or a smaller pair based on your pre-flop raise.

I would take the shot and re-raise him another $21 (so you are putting in $24.50). You don't need him hanging around with overs. If one hits on the turn (like it did), your eights start looking pretty small.

- Flyboy
Old 07-24-2007, 11:41 AM

you would have heard people telling you to push if it ended up at showdown and he showed 99 :P

I probably would have let the turn go though.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before you make the call on the flop you should think about how far you want to go with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i couldn't agree more. i actually did and i was sure that folding would be a mistake. didn't really know how far i was willing to take it, just that i didn't want it to end now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. that tells you something about the range i gave him on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
After check-raising you, you can probably expect that he'll come out firing something on the turn. More often than not that will happen. So, the question is whether or not you think he has a 10 or pocket sixes. If he doesn't, you want to seal the deal now. If he does, you want to fold obviously.

To really analyze this one we need two more pieces of information: has he check-raised anybody before (and if so what was the result); have you been pushing on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes i had been quite aggro on the button. this is probably also a reason why i felt it could be just a frustration raise.
[ QUOTE ]

Based on what we know, I would think that he was just playing at you. If he senses you are weak at all, the minimum check-raise would get you to fold. He is fairly certain that you don't have a 10 in your hand. He is probably putting you on overs or a smaller pair based on your pre-flop raise.

I would take the shot and re-raise him another $21 (so you are putting in $24.50). You don't need him hanging around with overs. If one hits on the turn (like it did), your eights start looking pretty small.

- Flyboy

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply i like your analysis. maybe this is just a judgement call, where one just has to trust a read or whatever.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Definitely a judgment call. If you had been trending aggressive on the button he might have put you on nothing but smoke. Another reason to push back and end it. Those smaller pockets are tricky to play, but this kind of a flop "tends" to be favorable for you.