Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: What to do with 55?

I think calling is the worst option here. I voted fold, but can see some merit to a raise. Without table reads, I'd assume anyone calling a raise has a legit hand. By only calling here, we are offering increasingly better odds to the next to act. With 55, that's really terrible.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:09 PM

Schmiddy,

The reason calling is not good is because it invites others to play along because their pot odds increase with each player in the pot. You will not be in good shape post flop against multiple opponents because of the likelyhood that someone will catch a card higher than a 5 and pair up (with the exception of that 1 in 8 chance when you flop a set). This would be acceptable if you were calling off a small portion of your stack but calling off 1/7th of your stack is too much.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM

I realize and understand perfectly the concept of pot odds regarding this pot. Though I may appear a noob in terms of post count, I have alot of experience playing MTT'S. It is my feeling that this tournament his gotten past the early stage of small blinds (i.e. alot of players entering pots) and has now gotten into the more tight "push or fold" mode. Given my previous experience in similar situations, and given the blinds stack sizes, IMO we will very rarely see a flat call out of position from one of them.The majority of the time you will see a push, in which case a fold of 55 is fine, or a fold from them. This is not a cash game, pot odds will not factor into their decision nearly as much when deciding whether or not to enter the pot. That point aside, even if they do enter the pot, they are more likely than not going to hit the flop with their overs. yes, I realize that 55 is going to have a flop over it 95% of the time, but given that you have position on the blinds, why not, when the flop comes, let them tell you whether or not they hit their overs, by evaluating their bet\check. For example, suppose the flop is 3 6 J. If one of the callers from the blinds check,which they would more than likely not do with top pair J's, just make a standard small c-bet and you will most likely take it down, and for that matter, certainly will if the blinds have missed.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize and understand perfectly the concept of pot odds regarding this pot. Though I may appear a noob in terms of post count, I have alot of experience playing MTT'S. It is my feeling that this tournament his gotten past the early stage of small blinds (i.e. alot of players entering pots) and has now gotten into the more tight "push or fold" mode. Given my previous experience in similar situations, and given the blinds stack sizes, IMO we will very rarely see a flat call out of position from one of them.The majority of the time you will see a push, in which case a fold of 55 is fine, or a fold from them. This is not a cash game, pot odds will not factor into their decision nearly as much when deciding whether or not to enter the pot. That point aside, even if they do enter the pot, they are more likely than not going to hit the flop with their overs. yes, I realize that 55 is going to have a flop over it 95% of the time, but given that you have position on the blinds, why not, when the flop comes, let them tell you whether or not they hit their overs, by evaluating their bet\check. For example, suppose the flop is 3 6 J. If one of the callers from the blinds check,which they would more than likely not do with top pair J's, just make a standard small c-bet and you will most likely take it down, and for that matter, certainly will if the blinds have missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Confessions of a weak/tight playa

Your line is bad - seriously. What you may not be considering is the iffy hands that now have correct odds to call. With a hand like 55, you want to be HU vs. a shortie. Calling is the worst possible way to get there. Your line after the flop is also bad. Post a hand that supports your line and see what comments you get.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Calling invites hands like 66 77 and even kq.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would raise to 4.5k. i want SB and BB know that I am calling their push, but I want to be able to fold to COs push.

I think raising > folding > pushing > calling.

edit: i just wanted to add that it's really close for me between raising and folding, and i'm not convinced raising is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sums up my thoughts on the hand.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:43 PM

I only care about the people behind me, their stack size, and how it compares to mine. Calling works if everyone is at the levels of the current blinds (giving up 15-20% of stack to play), and I outchip all of them. But, since CO has a much bigger stack, and if he makes a raise (as he should with almost anything if you call), then say bye-bye to 1750. Raise or fold.