Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/29 - spoilers possible)

[ QUOTE ]
come it was almost dead.

but anyway, something ive noticed

the people who are attacking jman, ive never seen before and tend to give terrible analysis of hands

the people defending, seem to be proven online winners and seem to make more sense in analysis.

maybe its a coincidence

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find the coincidence is the live players having a go don't play online - they play live. See why you are wrong now?

Anyway I don't see any proven online winners posting here lol, unless you are including yourself?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you know why the guy would come away from that game thinking he's "a favorite" against all of those players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he saw many of them play badly and felt like he would be a favorite because he usually plays better than them.

[ QUOTE ]
do you disagree with my point that it was dinengenuous to claim his read on eli's 88 hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't there either, but yes, I disagree. I find it hard to believe that he would lie about something where he would be so easily discovered later. It doesn't seem so crazy to me to think Phil G made a good read, and that he either didn't hear Eli or didn't believe him and wanted to check later.

Phil was terrible for TV. He didn't provide entertainment value because he didn't talk and didn't play many hands. However, I think it'd be fun to see an internit bust a bunch of name pros. This is the same reason I always cheer for Greenstein and Chip Reese in tournaments.

Also, being bad for TV doesn't mean he played badly; why would he mix it up if he really did get stuff like 95o? Daniel N gets called a LAG spewdonk all the time and he didn't play many hands either. It's not that hard to run bad for fifty hands, and Phil did raise it up with T7s once. Plus he said he won $20K overall, but we didn't see those hands and so the editing worked against him.

I do agree with ChrisV's comment that while Phil G's play was probably not optimal, it was far less terrible than stuff like Farha's K7 call. Farha and Eli are stuck a billion dollars and I'm sure they'd love to trade HSP results with Phil, so I don't think it's fair to say Phil is the one playing bad. Except for that muck, which was completely WTF and horrible.

I don't remember Phil's original trip report precisely, but I do think that if he was promised a seat at the $500K then he has a right to be frustrated about that.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
do you disagree with my point that it was dinengenuous to claim his read on eli's 88 hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't there either, but yes, I disagree. I find it hard to believe that he would lie about something where he would be so easily discovered later. It doesn't seem so crazy to me to think Phil G made a good read, and that he either didn't hear Eli or didn't believe him and wanted to check later.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's really your take? that maybe galfond, whom you say yourself is a great player ... would not keep his ears open at the table to a conversation between two players that just finished a pot. noone else was talking at the table.. he wasn't jabbering with jamie gold ... but you give good ol philly the excuse "i don't think he would lie, i guess he just missed eli and sammy talking about it" give me a break... you shouldn't have wasted our time in replying here if you're line of reasoning was "i'm sure philly wouldn't lie, he must have been napping at the table while sammy and eli talked about the hand."

i at least give the guy enough credit that he would and did listen to eli and sammy's discussion of the hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
come it was almost dead.

the people who are attacking jman, ive never seen before and tend to give terrible analysis of hands

the people defending, seem to be proven online winners and seem to make more sense in analysis.

maybe its a coincidence

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find the coincidence is the live players having a go don't play online - they play live. See why you are wrong now?

[/ QUOTE ]

a proven online winner at MSNL is in a completely different league from a 2/5 or 5/10 live grinder. The average competition you face at 5/10 live is about the same as at 25NL online, maybe 50NL if you get a "tough" table. And the reason he's not wrong is that not a single one of you has said anything at all strategically correct about a single hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe galfond, whom you say yourself is a great player

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say he was a great player, but based on what I've heard, I think he almost certainly is.

[ QUOTE ]
you give good ol philly the excuse ... give me a break...you shouldn't have wasted our time in replying here

[/ QUOTE ]

You complain about how no one here is listening to what you have to say, and when I write out a respectful post explaining an alternative scenario, you complain I'm wasting everyone's time. That strikes me as hypocritical. You also imply I'm some kind of Phil G fanboy, which I'm not.

[ QUOTE ]
i at least give the guy enough credit that he would and did listen to eli and sammy's discussion of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also call him disingenuous, so it's not a super-generous gesture on your part. It's pretty backhanded "credit."

Maybe Phil did listen but wasn't positive Eli was truthful. Do you always believe everyone has the hand they claimed they did? People lie about their hands all the time. I'm just giving Phil the benefit of the doubt and saying that maybe either (1) he really didn't hear because he was thinking about something else--the guy mucked half of a pot, so he's obviously not laserlike focused on the post-hand action 100% of the time, or (2) he did hear but just wants to see for sure. It's a hand where he was also making a point about pushing the river, so it wasn't just out of nowhere. Maybe he'll chime in.

It's a good read, but it's not like it was some ridiculous claim like "I knew 100% he had a straight flush." It seems totally plausible to me that a guy who plays for huge money for a living could read that one hand by Eli Elezra. To me, that seems more likely than Phil concocting a story about handreading to make a point to a bunch of people who mostly already believe he plays awesome. If you disagree, I guess we just disagree, but I am really trying to look at this from as unbiased and objective a point of view as I can.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
come it was almost dead.

maybe its a coincidence

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway I don't see any proven online winners posting here lol, unless you are including yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

annnnnnnnnnd this is the part where you look like even more of an idiot than before

Old 11-05-2007, 03:58 PM

^^^

but how much did you lose??
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgive the mistake if people admit the reason why he made it is he was nervous and out of his element... Instead of just claiming it happens to everyone.

translation: i wont listen until they say im right

i need to quit posting in this topic

[/ QUOTE ]

No because the only other explanation is he is a donk who sucked it up big time and is incompetent.

Feel free to take your pick.

What you can't do is claim he was not the least bit nervous and he is a great poker player. His actual play discounts those two things from being true. You might want to brush up on basic logic.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
come it was almost dead.

maybe its a coincidence

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a proven online winner at MSNL is in a completely different league from a 2/5 or 5/10 live grinder. The average competition you face at 5/10 live is about the same as at 25NL online, maybe 50NL if you get a "tough" table. And the reason he's not wrong is that not a single one of you has said anything at all strategically correct about a single hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think not mucking a hand before you know who won is strategically correct.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM

ROFL, shall we put this thread to rest now and look forward to the 500k table

with no Jman

and with no mucking of the winning hand by the real pro's